Brake/Suspension (Need advice) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Brake/Suspension (Need advice)

Hi everyone ! I got a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx SS which is a close sister of the G6 GT-P and I have to replace the brakes soon. I heard a lot about the poor quality of the OEM brakes. So I need advices about what brakes to buy.

I heard about R1-Concept rotors, read that Cobalt SS ones would fit, I would like to know also if ventilated rotors on the rear makes a good diffence, etc. I will probably replace ALL parts(Rotors, pads, calipers, hoses?).

For the suspension, I want an ajustable lowering kit. Do I need to change the springs too (and maybe shock absorber) ? If yes (or even no...), what would be interesting ?

I don't want to spend too much for all that stuff, but I'm still open to suggestions.

The car is 152 000 kilometers on the odometer. Bought it at 130 000, so I don't know what has been done to it in the past.

Thanks a lot !

DelHuge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:16 PM

Best for the brakes would be Brembos and stainless lines if you have the money for that. In my opinion ventilated rears aren't worth it as they barely do any of the work for braking, most brake problems are with the OEM fronts not the rears.

For the suspension you're not going to have adjustable ride height with just springs, you would need coilovers for that but theres really no quality coilovers for our cars. Best bet is probably a set of lowering springs and Koni adjustable shocks, that's what I have and I love it.

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. How much about for these brakes and suspensions upgrade ?

Anyone else suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 AM

You can check prices online at various websites including summitracing.com There are some Canadian websites that may or may not have all the high end performance parts you're after, so a US source might be the better bet. Often enough I luck out buying US as it often turns out to be less after customs, taxes and shipping. http://www.autopartsway.ca/ is decent, but again, they may or may not have high performance parts. I'm almost at 100K kms!

For my 2006 GT I upgraded the brakes with Monroe pads and rotors all around. My OEM front pads lasted 65K kms with mixed city highway driving. When I swapped on my new summer rubber this week I had at a look at the pads and they still look like new.

I replaced the rear pads at 70K kms only because I noticed the inner pad on the drivers wheel was nearly worn through. The outer pad still had plenty of use left. I'm not sure what the cause was as the passenger rear wheel had wore evenly although the rotor was scored quite a bit. I replaced both rear pads and rotors anyway.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Finally bought a Powerstop brake kit, front and rear drilled/slotted disk with ceramic pads. Can't wait to put them on !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in