TPMS valve stem - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

TPMS valve stem

Had a TPMS valve stem leak a year ago. Took it to the shop where I got my tires and the "supposedly" replaced the entire sensor...at least they charged me like they did! I am having the same issue on one of the other tires and have been looking into it myself. I have a 2008 g6 base and it looks like I only need the valve stem and not an entire TPMS sensor? I am seeing valve stem kits that are about $5 to $10. I also looked into what the tire place replaced a year ago and they could have possible only replaced the valve stem and charged me for an entire sensor...if it is true that valve stem and sensor are separate items. Only way to know for sure is break down the tire. First question...is that the case that the vavle stem is separate from the sensor on my 2008?

Secondly, I had the sensor that the tire place replaced last year not reading for a while now. It is alarming on the DIC and showing on the dash. The tire place said they had to reset the TPMS system at the dealer and wanted to charge me for that...even though they had just "supposedly" replaced the sensor. They also told me that if they had a key fob then they could reset the system. I was not buying what they were selling and have been living with the sensor alarm for a while. I guess my second questions are...is there a tpms system reset procedure that uses the key fob? Is there a way to reset the system that does not involve the dealer? ODBII maybe?

Not against taking it in if that is the only way but want to research first. I do not trust the tire place at all at this point...especially if you guys tell me it is possible they changed only the valve stem on the first tire. Any info is appreciated...Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Aside from the "learning" procedure...I know how to do that without a key fob. Tire place is telling me that they can clear the alarm by resetting the system...and that would cost at the dealer or they can reset with a key fob? I suspect that they may have just replaced the valve stem on that particular sensor and charged me for the entire sensor replacement...then the sensor failed. Just trying to keep them from maybe getting me again.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:15 PM

well to answer your first question the sensor is attached to the bottom of your valve stem. it is possible they could have just replaced the valve stem itself and not the sensor. as for the sensor not reading they could have put the wrong one in or not reset the system correctly. i doubt that the sensor failed, it is possible but not likely. i would take it somewhere else have them scan all the sensors to make sure you don't have another one failing, these sensors only have watch batteries in them and don't last forever. after they are scanned and confirmed that all are good they can preform a reset. i work at a auto repair facility and deal with TPMS issues on a daily basis. GM vehicles are the easiest to reset out of any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in