New tire/rim questions - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

New tire/rim questions

I'm looking to get new tires for my 08' G6 which currently has 17's. I'm not a fan of the low profile look and what i was wanting to do is get new tires and rims for the non winter months and have snow tires put on the factory rims for winter. But i was leaning towards going with 16's for the new tires and rims so i can have more rubber between the rim and the road to help absorb some of the impact from the potholes we have in these horrible northern Ohio roads. My factory rims have so many dings from potholes and i really don't want that to happen to my new rims. So, that being said what are your guys thoughts on going down to 16's? I'm having a hard time specing some out on tirerack's website as they keep showing 17's and 18's as the OEM size. I know the bolt pattern has to be exact but i'm confused as to the width that'll clear the rotor and caliper and such. Thanks in advance!

08' G6 Sedan, 2.4L Auto 174,800 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 AM

search it as a 06, those came with 16's and will give you options
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the reply tireguy. I ended up calling tirerack and talked with one of their people. They claim there shouldn't be a problem mounting 16's on my G6 even though it came with 17's. My question is, is there a difference in the rotor or caliper size between a car that comes with 16's rather than 17's? Or any other problem other than the possible 3 MPH difference that Conrads tire center claims i'll see by going with 16's? My main concern is i don't want to drop $900 between tires and rims only to put them on and have a clearance issue or bolt pattern issue or any other problem. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 AM

there is no issues with clearance, caliper and rotor size is standard with all years and trim levels. get the 16s you will have no problems.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Just an update. I took tireguy's advice and went with the 16's and man i couldn't be happier! They look great and she rides like a champ now, much better on these Ohio roads than the low profile 17's that were on it. No issues with turning or a difference in the odometer that i can tell. I''ll try and post before and after pics sometime. Thanks again tireguy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in