Pontiac G6 Forum banner

08 G6 GT "wobble" at highway speeds

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Shonb 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
This is my first post here on the forums so I hope its in the right spot!
When I first bought my 6 I replaced both of the rear shocks and the car developed what I would call a "wobble".
The wheel stays straight, but any time I hit a bump or go over ~40MPH, it feels like someone is wrestling in the back seat.
The wobble is side-to-side and feels like a really heavy crosswind.
I replaced the tires around a year ago and have tried almost everything.
The shocks were replaced once again after one was thought to be stuck, and the problem seemed to get slightly better but it came back.
I have had the car aligned many times and had the suspension inspected at multiple shops and nothing is turning up.
Is this familiar to anyone else?
Thank you guys!

#4 ·
I have an 07 G6 GT. Not sure how much different the different years are? I am having the same problem. I can not go over 40 mph, when I hit a bump or travel on uneven road or when I turn to the left.. my rear end jumps & bounces.. it feels like it's on a trampoline. My back tire is also leaning slightly inward. I can't figure out what the problem is! Has anyone else had issues like these? If so .. please help!

#5 ·
Normally if someone mentions wobble or judder at highway speeds I would be thinking the wheels need to be balanced. What you describe sounds more severe. Mine did this on the front and it was a worn ball joint on the lower control arm. As you mention the tire is leaning, I would jack it up safely and see if you are able to move it back and forth by pushing and pulling top and bottom. My guess if it is as severe as you say that you have a failed component in the rear suspension that is allowing it to wobble rather than holding it vertically in place. If you cannot find it yourself you may want to get it towed to a reputable garage and have them take a look. Driving it in this state could well be harmful.

Hope you get it fixed.

#10 ·
Both passenger rear side issues. Don't mistake the little $20 stabilizer arm for the $55 control arm.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.