2005 Lower Strut Pins SEIZED **Ohio** - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

2005 Lower Strut Pins SEIZED **Ohio**

Lower strut pins are completely seized. COMPLETELY. Plenty of room to swing full length 10-lb sledge, and I swear neither one has budged even a hair.

I removed the stabilizer bar, and attempted pounding them out all the way down, while lifted at smallest incriments, w all upper mount nuts secured, and also loosened in different patterns. Over 150,000 miles and I'm pretty certain these are OEM struts.

I'm completely stuck w/out real torch access to blow them through.

I can cut them out and take the knuckle to a shop to have them blown out, but do not want to end up replacing more parts due to similar removal issues.

Any ideas on how to remove these w/out cutting them out and breaking everything down to remove knuckle?

It's a 2005 w camber pins, and impossible to get leverage on either head. Attempted both air hammer and manual hammer/chisel to make them spin w no success. I cut away the corrosion on both heads and literally cannot even identify the bolt from corrosion. Seems like aluminum:steel + Ohio weather has galvanized the heads to the strut bracket.

I've done at least 20 of these jobs and never experienced anything close to this issue. At least it's my own car. Any help is much appreciated. Running out of ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:32 AM
08 convertible

I would try freeze spray. But it sounds like it might be beyond that. I would simply trash it and get a new knuckle. Depends on how much your time is worth.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
are these what your talking about? If so they dont and wont spin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6strut.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	13333  

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in