Installing Lowering Springs - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Installing Lowering Springs

How the hell to do it? I've researched other forums, but they suck. I need a run-down of how to do it in our cars. I have an 07 GT. Anybody feel up to typing out a tutorial possibly with pics? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I did mine on an 07 gt.. wasnt hard at all. but you do have to have a spring compressor.
do you have one?

I gotta do some work in the garage tonight..Ill see if I could take some pics.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6

Last edited by waterfowler76; 03-17-2010 at 06:52 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

im sure i can find a compressor or rent one. i need to know if i have to remove and take out the strut to do it, i mean how else am i going to get the old spring off and new one on.

what about putting the car up on jackstands and use a floor jack on the hub to decompress the spring...and then remove the spring?

Also, did you have to get an alignment afterwards?

did you need a coilover kit?

Last edited by jamestg6gt07; 03-18-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 PM

I do remember having to remove the whole front strut assembly but youll have to have the springs compressed enough to take the strut asembly apart. Doing the rears were not nearly as hard. they come right out. dont try to use a jack to compress the springs. they are way to powerfull. definitly get an alingmnent afterwards. oh and when you are doing the front youll see a bolt that is round on two sides and square on the others. make sure you mark exactly how that bolt sat in there. then to remove you loosen the nut to the very end of that bolt so its flush then you have to hit it out with a hammer.

heres the compressors i used: http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3492

any more questions or if your not sure be sure to ask.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

hmm sounds like it will be a fun task when i get my springs. im worried about killing myself with those dam springs if it gets lose lol. in my mind it says pay $200+ for someone to do it or get shot at by a thousand pound force right in the chest lol. thanks for the help.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 PM

Yeah i have the same thing with my car cause i know more than all my friends and immediate family.it isn't much LOL so i have no one to go to for questions its always people asking me and this is something i haven't done before.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestg6gt07 View Post
im sure i can find a compressor or rent one. i need to know if i have to remove and take out the strut to do it, i mean how else am i going to get the old spring off and new one on.

what about putting the car up on jackstands and use a floor jack on the hub to decompress the spring...and then remove the spring?

Also, did you have to get an alignment afterwards?

did you need a coilover kit?
Water is right,

Defiantly use a spring compressor or you could get killed. DO NOT try and compress the spring with a jack or the weight of the car. Friend of mine did this when we were kids. Compressed the spring with the weight of the car, chained up the spring, jacked the car up took the spring out and BAM right in the mouth, chain slipped. Almost killed him. Poor guy had to eat through a straw for several months....lol

You can rent them from Auto Zone or another more respectable auto parts store.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 AM

Yes you must take the strut out first before removing the spring. Make sure you DO NOT take the compression nut off before you get the strut out, if you do you will not get the lower mount bolts out. It is the big nut on top that holds the strut assembly together. You can see it when you open the hood and look at the strut tower.

You will want to loosen the 3 small nuts, don't take them off yet. They are what holds the strut assembly in the tower.

Loosen the other bolts at the bottom of the strut and mark the cam bolt like waterfowler said (the one with round sides).

Place a floor jack under the lower A arm and take the weight off the suspension assembly (be careful not to jack it up too much in order not to bend or damage anything). Play around with jacking it up and down a bit until you get the right no load on the assembly. This will enable you to get the bolts out easy.

When you do get the strut out, put the spring compressors on the spring. Tighten the compressors untill the spring is a bit loose in the assembly.

Then loosen the compression nut at the top and separate the strut assembly. Easy peasy...

MAKE SURE when you loosen the compression nut you DO NOT have the top of the strut pointing at your body in case the spring compressors slips or come off. If that happens you may be drinking through a straw for a few months like my buddy....lol
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech_5 View Post
MAKE SURE when you loosen the compression nut you DO NOT have the top of the strut pointing at your body in case the spring compressors slips or come off. If that happens you may be drinking through a straw for a few months like my buddy....lol
I'd rather go brawl with a bear lol.

Thanks for the help. Now all i need is the springs.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestg6gt07 View Post
I'd rather go brawl with a bear lol.

Thanks for the help. Now all i need is the springs.

Nah...don't brawl with an old bear man...Struts are easy to do. If I can do it you can too. Just got to be careful that's all.

Once you get them out they are easy to change springs and stuff. I wouldn't pay to have them replaced.

If you have any questions just ask. Lots of smart/experienced people on this website.

Besides if your going to trick out your ride what fun is it if you don't do it yourself...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech_5 View Post
Nah...don't brawl with an old bear man...Struts are easy to do. If I can do it you can too. Just got to be careful that's all.

Once you get them out they are easy to change springs and stuff. I wouldn't pay to have them replaced.

If you have any questions just ask. Lots of smart/experienced people on this website.

Besides if your going to trick out your ride what fun is it if you don't do it yourself...
i guess im capable if i can change out rotors and pads.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM
!

seems like those suspension bolts are pretty important, would I need to torque them when I reinstall it?

Thanks
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM

helpp

i was in the process of installing my lowering springs but ive run into a problem hopefully someone can help me. there are 2
bolts i cant get off. its a m 10.9 it has a rectangle head. do i use a wrench? or just use a hammer to push it out? please help. ill try to get a picture.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 AM

a hammer. But you have to mark the heads. I have detailed instrucions in the how-to section.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Does anybody know exactly what kind of coil overs to use on a 2007 base model sedan? I want to drop it down after I dip it and get some new rims. Just wondering what kind of coil overs. I have heard rumors of Saab coil overs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in