Spark Plug Help - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Spark Plug Help

I am looking for a How-to on spark plugs. I am kind of a "noob" to working on my own car. I normally would take it the dealer for work but I am flat broke and cant afford to pay them 200+ dollars to do this. My G6 is the 3.5 GT coupe. I am looking for directions on how to do the work, and the correct spark plugs/ where to buy them at. Local parts stores include, Autozone, O'Reillys, Advanced, Napa, and of course the GM dealer. Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
I would stick to ACdelco plugs the 3.5 depending on the year require AC 41-101 with a gap of .060 inches for the 05-06 models, and 07 and newer require AC 41-100 gapped to .040 inches. As far as how to, make sure your engine is cold and you use a spark plug socket with a ratchet to unscrew them and screw new ones in, be careful when pulling the boots off the spark plugs, do not pull on wire, pull from the top off the boot. To get to the back ones it is easier if you remove the alternator. I replaced my wires when I did my plugs, but if you are flat broke you may want to wait. I used Magnecor 8.5mm wires instead of the OE AC Delco, the Magnecor are better and about the same price.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 PM
The G6 is my DD :-)

Anti-seize on the threads (very small amount) and di-electric grease (silicone) on the boots.

Last edited by Vette73; 01-18-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
Oh yeah, I forgot those details Vette, thanks. I did use those when I did my tune up, they are neccessary if you ever want the plugs to come out easily again and boots to come off (di-electric goes in the boots on the part that connects to the plug and to the coil).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in