Powdercoating rims - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Powdercoating rims

Anyone know of anyone that has powder coated their factory rims? I really like my 5 spoke factory polished rims but want to get black rims. I don't want to go bigger, especially since I'd have to get new tires. What's eveyones views on powdercoating? Will I still get a nice gloss? Durablity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM

you still get that nice gloss , and powdercoating last way longer than OEM/factory
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
!

I heard that there are safety issues with powder coating rims. The high temps from the process can cause them to crack and fail, unless the process used is specifically designed for rims.

Just what I heard, I have no experience with the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM
!

here's some info I found from a quick Google search, it turned up on the EVO forums...

he curing process for powder coating is typically between 350-450F. This extra heat cycle is extremely detrimental to the integrity of most cast aluminum alloys. They get brittle, crack, and snap when under heavy load, like what a wheel experiences. Most powder coating shops do not have the $100k equipment needed for controlled temperature increases and decreases and this is extremely stressful on the metal. A mass produced wheel will have it's original coating done and cured by such a machine, if it is even powder coated at all.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Wow, that would def. turn me off from getting them powder coated but i guess its just one person's experience...

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM
!

I looked into it a little, and it is possible. Just do your research. manufacturers powder coat wheels all the time.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm considering powdercoating because of the cheaper cost. I don't think I can afford breaking a rim and having to get another set..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
!

let alone the damage to you, your car and others from a wheel flying off on the freeway!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 AM

i have a customer that does powder coating and he has done alot of rims and has never had any issues. i'm thinking of going to a gun metal grey on mine. My last car i did this and i never had any issues. but, if your powder coater dosen't do sand blasting aswell, you need to have this done aswell before they get coated. Most tombstone makers will do this for you, make sure they have experience doing rims, they could pit and leave a very bad surface. So, the powdercoating and an bad sand blasting can leave a rim out of balance, then add a tire (that is very rarely balanced) can become very difficult to be balanced out

Had a 07 GTP coupe, traded in for my GTI....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

The chrome wheels are cladded. They are plastic and will melt in the process.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Yes they are plastic but.... i recently bought a set of GXP rims which are also plastic. I just took off the plastic and im getting them powder coated black and red. The rims under the plastic look better then with the plastic on... in my opinion.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM

I just painted mine with dupli color wheel paint sanded wheels down real good and they turned out looking really good I let dry around a day I made a mig shift baking room from plastic a electric heater a little ghetto but it worked no chips so far
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Garage
im going to be trying pasti dipping my oem rims this spring...will update in my thread on how it goes.

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in