Yikes!!! Parking brake gone!!! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Yikes!!! Parking brake gone!!!

Hi Everyone
Wife stopped at a department store chain to get a "deal" on pads and rotors for MY G6, sure enough, I could have sourced better parts cheaper but....
Parking brake no longer works!!
Did some research and went back to the "garage" and found out that they used a C clamp to push the rear piston back in, normally a pretty standard procedure, where I see from the service manual, that you need to screw it back in because of a worm screw or something related to the parking brake. They worked fine before the brake job, as did the brakes really.
Does anyone know if this has caused some major damage or is this an easy fix? Brakes still work fine, just no stopping power on parking brake, it will eventually stop the car but 10 miles later, about same effect as taking foot of gas.
The "garage" is willing to refund my money, but if there is more to this I want to pursue it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I'm pretty sure the reason your parking break isnt working is because they damaged that piston by pushing it. Your probably going to have to replace the rear calipers.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason your parking break isnt working is because they damaged that piston by pushing it. Your probably going to have to replace the rear calipers.
^^^ agree!
The best you can do now is give them an ass chewing, to bad you can't make them pay for the damage! Take your refund and put it towards new rear calipers.
You could tell the shop to notify their wanna be mechanic that he ruined your brakes and to learn how to replace pads before he experiments on your car. We have a very helpful “HOW TO” section on brake pad replacement, send them a link! (This would have pissed me off beyond belief!)

Last edited by geewhiz; 04-13-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
^^^ agree!
The best you can do now is give them an ass chewing, to bad you can't make them pay for the damage!
Actually, you will be able to have them pay for the damage because they caused it. The potential issue is that since they are paying for it, they will probably be the ones to do the repair work, and will use whatever parts they choose. What you need to do is try to convince them to pay another qualified shop (preferably a dealer) to do the repairs as they obviously don't know what they are doing. You may have to get legal representation for this option.

Good luck.

~ MattInSoCal
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM
-Banned-

I guess you have two options.

1) Take it as a lesson, replace the rear calipers + damage caused.
2) Lawsuit.. Generally not worth it, but depends on what state you're in, if you regularly took the car to a shop with ASE certified techs, records, ect.. Most of these kinda cases SEEM to result in mandatory partial payment of damages caused, and that's IF the case is a success..

That really sucks, though.

What store was this?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Hi
It was canadian tire, up here in canada, they have there own watchdogs which are looking into it, had to provide proof that the procedure used is not standard for the G6, their books also state that a GM tool is required(which they have on site) for this repair. I want slightly higher quality parts for the repair, they are working on it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM
-Banned-

Quote:
Originally Posted by haliburton G6 View Post
Hi
It was canadian tire, up here in canada, they have there own watchdogs which are looking into it, had to provide proof that the procedure used is not standard for the G6, their books also state that a GM tool is required(which they have on site) for this repair. I want slightly higher quality parts for the repair, they are working on it.
I hope this all gets sorted out for you! I avoid places like that, for this very reason.. Plus, they always try to sell me shit that I know I don't need.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

It all comes down to my wife too, why she would decide to take my car in for service when she knows I do everything myself is beyond me. Ah, now I remember, she had my car because she put hers in a ditch in a storm because she was texting while driving in a blizzard. But I guess these non vented rotors(slab) and metallic pads are better than the slotted cross drilled ones with ceramic pads, thats why they were more expensive, plus how often do I really use my parking brake anyways? hahaha
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:51 PM

If they did use a clamp on the back piston instead of the borg tool i think its called then deff have them repair it.

But, I have an 05 that i have always done the work to change my breaks doing it the proper way. And me E-brake has still stopped working. It slowly got weaker and just doesnt work anymore.

I have yet to find a spot to actually tighten the cable. Alot of cars have an adjustment near the actually lever. But my next spot to check is under the rear seat where the cables meet. If your rear calipers are ruined they wouldnt break at all it would not just make the parking break stop working.
If have looked alot around a year ago. on the forums and even a GM tech didnt know the correct spot.

So hopefully your car gets fixed and please feel free to post what they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in