panoramic sunroof... Is it really that bad? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

panoramic sunroof... Is it really that bad?

Hey yall just registered to ask 1 question.

I have an 08 Chevy Colorado that I just got done bagging out. Im wanting to add a sunroof when I start in the interior(next project) anyway Ive read alot about how these are really bad sun roofs. Id rather ask the people who have them so Im wondering what yall think about them? Im going to be moving to phoenix so if it leaks a little water thats not really a big deal. Im more woried about the noise and the reliability.

So question is. If you were in my shoes would you install the panoramic sunroof?

thanks
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Slick Black Pontiac

Send a message via Skype™ to Gambit
I've never had any issues with water getting in on my 2005 GT with the Panoramic roof.
In warm weather it is a wonderful sunroof. it opens up really wide and looks cool all stacked up in back.

The major downside is the wind noise. Mine whistles when it is closed, sometimes enough to make me regret having it. Especially in winter when I can't open it and enjoy the sun.

Personally I'm not a fan of sunroofs on trucks. please if you do decide to put this on your truck, make sure you have enough room for the mechanism. The mechanism to open the roof it at the back of the unit and hangs down intruding on headroom. I didn't care because I don't sit in the back but others have complained that they almost hit their heads on the bulge from the sunroof.

hope this was helpful.

Modifications:
Aftermarket Exhaust system w/chrome tip. (came with car)
Red ZZ Performance Strut Tower Bar.
Pioneer DEH-P5200HD CD Receiver (HD Radio).
Metra 99-3303 adapter and Steering wheel control adapter.
LED bulbs in climate control panel.
Moda MD9 wheels, Falken Ziex ZE 912 tires.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
ive seen some threads on here about people having leaky pano's i have the regular sunroof and have no problems at all.. search the threads about other pano's and see what you get from there.

EDIT:
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10458

just seen this in the active threads...

Last edited by penelopeTHEg6; 07-19-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help so far yall.

Gambit: Can you do me a favor and take some measurements on your sunroof please? Just so I know if it will fit. I may be barking up the wrong tree. I KNOW a sunroof out of an 01 integra will work in the truck but I like the way this one stacks up at the back. My truck is an ext cab and my back seat is torn out and has been replaced with a speaker box lol. Headroom wont be an issue for me.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 PM

IMO, if I were going through the trouble of installing a sun roof I'd at least get one where people don't have issues with it. At first you may be able to tolerate it but if it's leaking it's going to start stinking your car up and puddle somewhere. I believe I've seen other panoramic sun roofs and I would look at reviews from them since they get bad reviews on here. Just my opinion.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical7 View Post
IMO, if I were going through the trouble of installing a sun roof I'd at least get one where people don't have issues with it. At first you may be able to tolerate it but if it's leaking it's going to start stinking your car up and puddle somewhere. I believe I've seen other panoramic sun roofs and I would look at reviews from them since they get bad reviews on here. Just my opinion.
agreed.. honestly i wouldnt get the pano at all.. it looks kind of obnoxious, i prefer the 1 glass piece myself... and if i want the whole thing open i get it in 1 piece not 4 or 5 pieces... your asking for more work later on
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
I think any type of moonroof or sunroof is useless. Just causes problems and the useability is minimal.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I see what yall mean but I like the style of this one and I cant really find any others like it. A aftermarket one is out of the question because those ****ers are EXPENSIVE! Plus I like having a franken truck lol. The wheels I have now are off of a Nissan Armada. I had to bore them out with a router so they would even fit on my truck. Recently I bagged it and pretty much cut the truck into 3 pieces and put it back together lol Hell Ill jsut post a picture of the damn thing.

With anything customizing you do to a vehicle theres gonna be problems. I can handle it leaking a little bit especially since Ill be living in Phoenix. They dont get much rain there so Im not woried about getting a little water in the truck when it does.

Any ideas of other panos that open up like the one on the G6?

Thanks for all the info so far yall. anyone else have any first hand experience with this roof?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicknn View Post
I see what yall mean but I like the style of this one and I cant really find any others like it. A aftermarket one is out of the question because those ****ers are EXPENSIVE! Plus I like having a franken truck lol. The wheels I have now are off of a Nissan Armada. I had to bore them out with a router so they would even fit on my truck. Recently I bagged it and pretty much cut the truck into 3 pieces and put it back together lol Hell Ill jsut post a picture of the damn thing.

With anything customizing you do to a vehicle theres gonna be problems. I can handle it leaking a little bit especially since Ill be living in Phoenix. They dont get much rain there so Im not woried about getting a little water in the truck when it does.

Any ideas of other panos that open up like the one on the G6?

Thanks for all the info so far yall. anyone else have any first hand experience with this roof?
truck looks nasty bro! love them bagged!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks man. Its a never ending project lol. As soon as I finish one thing I start another and then plan for the next one lol. Next I have to do work in the bed cause it looks like crap. In the first pic you can see where the stock tank is sticking out of the bed a little. Ive got to get a fuel cell and then Im gonna raise the bed floor up and itll look stock it just wont be as deep.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Are the front tires toed in?

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicknn View Post
thanks man. Its a never ending project lol. As soon as I finish one thing I start another and then plan for the next one lol. Next I have to do work in the bed cause it looks like crap. In the first pic you can see where the stock tank is sticking out of the bed a little. Ive got to get a fuel cell and then Im gonna raise the bed floor up and itll look stock it just wont be as deep.
yeah i feel you on that never ending projects lol.. always saving for more, and figuring out what you can tear apart next.. the bed doesnt look to bad the way it is, but never want to half a$$ anything! so good luck to ya

and the wheels are that way because its smashed to the ground right now..
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 PM

I wouldn't risk getting the sunroof, get a normal one. Quieter. The pano sunroofs look cool, but are loud when driving ( i know this cause of my friend having one), I like my 1 piece sunroof and haven't had any problems.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 PM

The g6 sunroof is pretty expensive, I have looked at getting mine replaced and I've given up because of the price. If you are looking for size wise look at Sicon tC's pano's they have the same flip up as the g6 but then a regular sunroof that is rather big, just throwing another option your way.

2006 Pontiac G6 Sedan 3.5 V6
Mods: Drop in K&N Air Filter, Partially debadged, Vinyl overlay on door trim and darts.
To come: Ehaust, Tint and much more.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post

and the wheels are that way because its smashed to the ground right now..
Ive seen trucks bagged and smashed and their tires are not toed in.....my brother in law bagged his mercedes and his are not like that.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in