Can car be put into reverse while driving without the gear actually engaging? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Can car be put into reverse while driving without the gear actually engaging?

Sorry if this is the incorrect section (transmission or appearance), please help me out if it is. Sometimes while driving I like to use my 'rear flashers' aka reverse lights to signal others. In my previous car 2007 camry the reverse and park gears would not engage if you were driving faster than 5mph to prevent damage I assume. My question is for a 2008 g6 gt auto, if I put the gear in Reverse or Park while driving fast is there something that prevents it from engaging or will it mess my car up; I know I can sucessfully do it for short periods of time about .5 seconds or less without it switching gears yet but sometimes I need to flash for longer? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:30 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
why do you find this necessary?? if you want to flash why wouldn't you turn on your hazzards or something? i dont think you can put the shifter pass nuetral without smashing the break in to move the shifter up anyfurther passed nuetral.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Im positive you can atleast untill reverse, I do it weekly. And the hazards cant only be used in the rear, sometimes I just want to signal someone directly behind me and not have the added frontal/sides attention. The brake is only needs to be depressed to move out of park. Any other insight?

*edit* just remembered to get it past neutral while driving you must depress that lock button on the shifter - Side note are there any mods to get that button removed or permanently depressed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

On the one hand, I'm extremely curious as to what all this signalling is about.

On the other hand, it's probably best to be kept in the dark as much as possible where whatever this is, is concerned.

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Garage
LOL thread!

06 GT - black on black
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:05 PM

Just get a giant spot light and mount it on your spoiler and run a switch inside your car. problem solved!

No but I don't think it will engage it into reverse if your going like you said, over 5 mph..As far advanced as cars have become i think they would not leave a simple safety thing as such off a car..

I just dont see why you need to "flash" people behind you?? If they are directly behind you and bothering you..mash on the brakes?

2008 G6 Gxp Street Edition

Mods:Interior LED Neon Lighting, Debadged, 20% Tint, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, Res delete, Alteza black housing taillights, Spyder black housing headlights, CRAB O3 CAI, Airraid Throttle Body Spacer, Racingline Strut bar, 91 OCT WAMS Tune.

Audio:400.1 Kicker amp, 12" Kicker CVR Ported Box
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN2SKI View Post
LOL thread!
agreed.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Garage
x3 on the lol thread...

on a more serious note- why not tap your brakes ever so slightly repetitively as to simulate "rear only" hazards without causing your car to slow down.

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 PM

Garage
How about just driving everywhere in reverse? Then if you want to flash people that are behind you, they would actually be infront of you but yet still behind you and could then use your high beams?

06 GT - black on black
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Stridex, I think your comment made my balls grow enough to try it; ill post back after thurough testing.
reverttheclown, people use their brake lights daily its part of their function - however when I flash people with the reverse lights its out of the norm so more noticable, sometimes I use it to catch a race, or creep heh
Today I noticed that if the shifter button is kept depressed there is no need to depress the brake to leave park, as long as it was originally depressed from a gear other than park, or shift through any of the gears - this mod is high on my to do list.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN2SKI View Post
How about just driving everywhere in reverse? Then if you want to flash people that are behind you, they would actually be infront of you but yet still behind you and could then use your high beams?

Lmao

2008 G6 Gxp Street Edition

Mods:Interior LED Neon Lighting, Debadged, 20% Tint, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, Res delete, Alteza black housing taillights, Spyder black housing headlights, CRAB O3 CAI, Airraid Throttle Body Spacer, Racingline Strut bar, 91 OCT WAMS Tune.

Audio:400.1 Kicker amp, 12" Kicker CVR Ported Box
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver969 View Post
Thanks Stridex, I think your comment made my balls grow enough to try it; ill post back after thurough testing.
Why not install a pushbutton switch connected to the reverse light circuit? Same effect without doing something potentially causing thousands of dollars of damage to your drive train.

~ MattInSoCal
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInSoCal View Post
Why not install a pushbutton switch connected to the reverse light circuit? Same effect without doing something potentially causing thousands of dollars of damage to your drive train.

~ MattInSoCal
this... or why not do it at all? if you get rear ended then its not your fault in the 1st place. ive never even heard of anyone doing this. the odds of you preventing an accident trying to show your reverse lights to someone is pretty slim id say, i would say your more of a hazzard throwing your car in every different gear you have and not paying attention to what your doing on the road, i think its more of a hazzard trying to do this imo.

Last edited by penelopeTHEg6; 08-08-2011 at 10:58 AM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 AM

Garage
Wow, just realized that you are the same person that started this thread...
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10451

You sir have 2 epic threads!!! (and I dont mean that in a good way)

06 GT - black on black
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 PM

This has got to be a troll . .

David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in