Would a bigger spoiler help a G6? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Would a bigger spoiler help a G6?

Hello,

I was curious about ordering a bigger spoiler for my G6. I have the basic "soda can lip" spoiler on my G6, or whatever that thing is called. it seems most cosmetic than aerodynamic.

I was curious about maybe order the Upgraded G6 V6 spoiler for my G6. but would the GM model spoiler help?

I'm usually doing 85mph on I-84 and I'm wanting a spoiler that keep my ass down snug the the road.

I'm thinking of ordering, http://www.carid.com/2008-pontiac-g6...ler-43015.html

But I'm wondering if http://www.carid.com/2008-pontiac-g6...it-305959.html would fit on the same mounting brackets on the back of my G6.

I couldn't find any posts in this discussion board about spoiler's so I thought I'd make one and see what the community has to say...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Member

In my opinion go with the one you think looks the best. I personally like the smaller of the two. As for keeping the car on the road, I doubt you will get close enough to the speed needed to lift your car. The design of the G6’s ass end is more than enough to keep her down. Adding a bigger (and heavier)device that creates even more drag will only slow you down.
(Do you know why the Vette still has a blunt ass end? To “spoil” the lift created by the design of the rest of the car, so a bigger “spoiler” isn’t needed)
Just my two bits, Good luck!!

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

well I agree. I like the 1st one. I just want someone a little more stylish than the factory spoiler than just is like a little lip. I also got Yellow Caliber covers. so I want ot make my car a bit more sporty looking.

BTW, My car is finished geewhiz ... I pick it up on Wednesday :-) ... I saw it after work, it looks perdy-nice.

Last edited by deathmage; 09-27-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Lifetime Member

The yellow caliper will do that, look at Lampoon's G6 (first one off the top of my head), they are yellow and look good.

Mike
MODS;
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

The 2009.5 spoiler is a mix between the regular one (like you have) and the Hammerhead.

I think it looks nice and it uses your existing bolt holes so its easy cheesy.

Yellow calipers FTW!!

Currently installing Brembos....yellow of course!

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession

Last edited by Lampoon; 09-28-2011 at 05:43 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

@Lampoon,

Were did you get that spoiler, lampoon? and by-the-way, also were did you get that hood? too me that looks like a Grand AM hood.

Also I'm ordered a K&N Typhoon, I think I'm going to order the CRAB box next paycheck. MY question for you is, do I need, like need need, to remove the resonator? wouldn't the air still flow thru the resonator with a crab box and the Typhoon sucking in air?

Only reason I ask is because here in NY it seems were turning into a tropical rain-forest. and I mean that literally. so to me removing the resonator would be just asking for water to get into thru the the air intake pipe. My thinking is in some weird way that resonator might actually help with the water not getting to the air filter. I could be wrong with this thinking, but I'm a IT Director, I'm sort of a computer nerd. (I think allot)

I'm also looking into getting these projector headlamp soon.

http://www.carid.com/2008-pontiac-g6...ts-263678.html

I'm thinking of just hooking up the HALO's to the power line going to the fog lights now my only concern is that the power cables to the fog lights, do you know if they are thick enough to handle a bit more electrical pull for those HALO ring on these new lights? Unless you got a better suggestion of getting them power.

@Geewhiz,

The car is back finally. I got her back yesterday. It has a brand-spanking new GM engine in her. Its the 3.6L 2011 model engine. My dealership couldn't find a 2008 model 3.5L that was NEW. So they got me a 2011 model 3.6L for my G6 V6 Base model sedan. So does that technically make my car a G6 GT? ....right now I'm babying the car, I want to break in the engine easily.

For both of you, question for your brains. How would a Strut bar effect performance of my car? I may want to put one in at some point, if I had a better understanding of wtf it does.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:25 AM

The strut bar tightens up the front end...Ive taken mine off many times trying to discern a difference. There is one but it is so slight....you can notice it when you are in a turn at speeds. It tends to hug more if that makes sense.

With the K&N, Crab or Injen (sans its quarter extention as with it there is no way to have it- ha haa) you wont need your quarter resonator as water has a place to go
should it get through your quarter hole. Its not a sealed system at that quarter opening. Make sense?

The hood is an MPD ram air hood. You can google it. Eric makes them and it allows you to have true ram air to your cab. Its awesome! More like a GTO if you ask me....

The spoiler can be had at gmpartsdirect or at any gm dealership parts counter. It is the 2009.5 stock G6 spoiler. Ive got the part number around here somewhere. Check my ole blue thread.

MODS:

My Progession
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmage View Post
@Geewhiz,

The car is back finally. I got her back yesterday. It has a brand-spanking new GM engine in her. Its the 3.6L 2011 model engine. My dealership couldn't find a 2008 model 3.5L that was NEW. So they got me a 2011 model 3.6L for my G6 V6 Base model sedan. So does that technically make my car a G6 GT? ....right now I'm babying the car, I want to break in the engine easily.
PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS!

And if you could, can you go back and ask what they actually had to do to get that engine in? A few people are interested in doing the swap, and it would be a great benefit to know exactly what the dealer did to get it to work.

06 GT - black on black
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM

No GT's ever came with the 3.6 engine.

GTP & GXP's did.

You sure it isnt a 3.9? X2 on the pix

MODS:

My Progession

Last edited by Lampoon; 09-29-2011 at 11:08 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
With the K&N, Crab or Injen (sans its quarter extention as with it there is no way to have it- ha haa) you wont need your quarter resonator as water has a place to go
should it get through your quarter hole. Its not a sealed system at that quarter opening. Make sense?
I sort of understand. so basically even when I drive down the highway in say a rain storm, the resonator doesn't do anything to keep the water out of the air box? I was just thinking if I kept the resonator in there and remove the airbox and just left the pipe in there, would the air still flow thru to were the air box used to be? were is the quarter opening, by-the-way? is that the opening that goes into the air box or is that the opening in-front like were the resonator is?

It's def the 3.6L. they said the joint on my transmission fit perfectly, but what might be good to point out is the transmission. Progressive didn't want to take a chance with the transmission being affected by the blow piston, so they covered for a new transmission too. I know nothing about cars. but maybe the new transmission they ordered to work with the 3.6L. Basically the car has 40,150 miles on it, but that is just body mileage now. its basically like a brand-new car.

It was put together at the Pontiac GM dealership, so I trust they knew what they were doing, its been there well over 2 weeks in the shop. The invoice I got from the dealership clearly state "3.6L V6, VVT". I can really feel the power difference let me tell you. My dealership treats me well there, my dad did buy a 2010 Cadillac CTS from them, so maybe that's why.

and Sure when I get home I can take a picture. They didn't order the engine cover thing, it has my original 3.5L cover. Progressive only covered for the engine not the plastic engine cover thing, the 3.5L cover fits, so it's not a big deal. I'm just more grateful its a new engine. I've only had the car since February. it's a certified used. When I bought the car, I got Progressive's best car insurance plan, boy did it pay off. My friends told me its unheard of for the Insurance company to pay so much. My father is a Progressive Regional Manager though.

Last edited by deathmage; 09-29-2011 at 01:11 PM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=deathmage;83102]I sort of understand. so basically even when I drive down the highway in say a rain storm, the resonator doesn't do anything to keep the water out of the air box? I was just thinking if I kept the resonator in there and remove the airbox and just left the pipe in there, would the air still flow thru to were the air box used to be? were is the quarter opening, by-the-way? is that the opening that goes into the air box or is that the opening in-front like were the resonator is?[QUOTE]

the resonator keeps water from entering the STOCK CLOSED box. if you were to leave the resonator and remove the airbox then what is filtering your air? you need a filter so either go aftermarket or keep the stock box. either way you can remove the resonator safely...just don't drive through water thats over 1.5-2 ft deep and you'll be safe. others will say its not advised to remove the resonator with the stock airbox because it keeps water from entering the airbox..which has no where to go once it gets in there, but i don't see how water will get in there unless you drive through that 2 ft puddle

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

[quote=reverttheclown;83104][QUOTE=deathmage;83102]I sort of understand. so basically even when I drive down the highway in say a rain storm, the resonator doesn't do anything to keep the water out of the air box? I was just thinking if I kept the resonator in there and remove the airbox and just left the pipe in there, would the air still flow thru to were the air box used to be? were is the quarter opening, by-the-way? is that the opening that goes into the air box or is that the opening in-front like were the resonator is?
Quote:

the resonator keeps water from entering the STOCK CLOSED box. if you were to leave the resonator and remove the airbox then what is filtering your air? you need a filter so either go aftermarket or keep the stock box. either way you can remove the resonator safely...just don't drive through water thats over 1.5-2 ft deep and you'll be safe. others will say its not advised to remove the resonator with the stock airbox because it keeps water from entering the airbox..which has no where to go once it gets in there, but i don't see how water will get in there unless you drive through that 2 ft puddle
I've Order a K&N Typhoon, maybe that helps clear up the question. I wanted to know if I could keep the resonator-in and still have the air go thru the resonator with the air box removed, but having the CAI replacing the box with a CRAB box. or would the air not flow thru the pipe that the resonator is connected to once the air box is removed, is it like a vacuum connection or something...

I guess my question is, if I keep the resonator-in and I put in the K&N Typhoon with the CRAB box will the air still go thru the hole where the air box was sitting from the resonator... erg if that makes sense...
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Garage
the answer is yes haha i got what ya mean...but you're gonna want that piece of junk outta there.

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Lifetime Member

DEATHMAGE
Super sweet deal! You may try a salvage yard for an engine cover to tout the bigger engine. If I were you I would invest in a tune after the CAI. You will definately have an advantage in speed on most of the other (base) G6s on the road.

Mike
MODS;
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

question gents. after I get the CAI installed. I want to put a pair of these in my car....

http://www.carid.com/2008-pontiac-g6...ts-263678.html

here is a youtube video of what they will look like...

I'm curious, Should I hook up the HALO's to the Fog light power cable? would the cable going to the fog light be thick enough to support the Halo's?

they just look like such awesome headlights, and this way I don't gotta mess with HID bulbs and modding the factory headlamp units.

Last edited by deathmage; 09-29-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in