I am back... New Mods coming Next Week (with your help) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
New 6er

I am back... New Mods coming Next Week (with your help)

Hey everyone!

So after moving and going through mild financial issues and starting a new job, I finally have time to return my focus back to my G6!!

What I want to accomplish next week:
1. window tint
2. remove pinstripes
3. correct my leaky EE
4. finish debadging
5. replace fogs and projectors

...which all leads to plenty of questions to ask.

1. What's the inside scoop with window tint? I plan on getting mine professionally done since I have abs no experience and you can clearly identify those suckers that try to put it on themselves for their first few times. Anyways, I scoped pricing around central/northern Jersey and this guy wanted $400 to do all windows on my convert using 3M. I tried explaining to him that I have a convert and he said usually converts are more difficult. I then pursued to believe that this dude was shady and just told him I didn't have cash. So is tint really that expensive to get them professionally done? I am heading back to MICH for the holidays so I hope it is cheaper there. And what kind of tint am I looking for? All I know is that I want 20% all around (maybe 15% in the rear) b/c mich law allows 20% on the sides.

2. Does anyone have a success story with removing pinstripes? Did you do it yourself or take it somewhere? I do not want to touch my car with any kind of revolving tool that isn't used to wax my car or bring googone any where near it. But I hate those f&@*(%#s and want them off badly.

3. This will be fun. My passenger EE leaks. It is time to correct it.

4. Should be easy since I already removed the big ass dart on the back off.

5. OoOo another good one. I have EE in right now. I want swap my low beams out with a "whiter" light. I am looking in the 6000k or 7000k range. Can anyone just post a link of where to find some that will fit in my EE housing? I tried a search around here but that only confused me more. I get lost with all this h1, h7, h11 discussion and then other acronyms are thrown in just to confuse me even more. And I want to replace the fogs as well to match. I think I need h11s @ 35 watt. Again I want to get 6000k or 7000k to match my low beams. And brighter the better. I live in NJ and everyone drives around here with their brights on (daytime too) and I want to shine mine right back in their face.

Thanks in advance for your help all. I really want to purchase all the necessary equipment so I can install everything late next week.

And Happy Holidays!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 AM

With the window tint, in michigan, it is only legal to tint the back three windows.
Here is the direct law from http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...00.html#tinted

"Question: Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

Answer: The law that covers window applications is MCL 257.709 . The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides, and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application, but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%."

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 AM

$400 for tint? o.0 I paid $140 for my coupe all around and it has a lifetime warranty.

Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LEDs everywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Welcome back.....I paid around 2 with lifetime.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:13 PM

I also paid around $200 with lifetime warranty.

If you want white light, get 5000k, 6000+ you start adding more blue. 5000k will be the whitest. The stock projector fogs are H11 bulbs and you'll want 35W. DDM Tuning is what most of us here have. They are cheap, reliable and have a lifetime warranty. I dont know the sizes of the EE housings so someone else will have to chime in.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
New 6er

Crap Mitch you are right. Before when I looked I was looking at some third party site. I've told a bunch of people in MI that 20 was legal. Do you like your 35s? Do you wish you would have gone with 20 anyways?

What is good tint versus cheap tint? My last car I bought came with this bluish colored tint that looked like crap. I don't want that. I want black, not blue.

So are you saying these will work for my fog lights?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XENON-HID-CO...item27bc567ea5
Is there anything cheaper out there? You said something about DDM Tuning but couldn't find anything on eBay about it.

Thanks guys!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM

I actually have no tint on them, but I'm planning on putting 35 on the back, and 50 on the front.. if I can get the place to do that.

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 PM

tbh, I wouldnt waste your time with 50%. My fronts are 50% and you cant really tell they are tinted.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
New 6er

I think I will do 20s anyways. It may sound stupid but i have always wanted a "murdered" out car. I finally have a black car, just need tint and rims.

Any EE owners out there that can recommend a light set?

And any idea what tint to get when proposed with an offer? I think 3M sounds best, but that's the only brand that I know.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 AM
IT'S BAD ASS IN BLACK!!!!

Go to Darkside Window Tinting, 51105 Milano Drive, Macomb, MI. I believe they use 3 different brands and a great warranty. I did 20% sides and rear. Think I paid around $250.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
New 6er

Yea I'll have to check them out. $250 still seems expensive though. I have one square window in the back with no curvature, 2 small dinky rear windows and 2 sides. I just don't get how tint for that can be so expensive now a days. I remember in hs it was only ~150.

Do you like the tint job? Do you work there?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM
IT'S BAD ASS IN BLACK!!!!

No, don't work there, hell might be even cheaper than I put down, that was 2 years ago. Tell them you don't want them to cut-out where the 3rd brake light is, you don't want that for sure. What I liked the most besides the quality was the professionalism they gave me. There not the goofy goons like at Car Tunes, ect., and some other shops. If the shop looks like crap inside, well you know where I'm coming from. Prep is key to a good tint job, and a quality product. They did my Corvette also....
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
New 6er

Yea the place I went to here in NJ looked like crap. And my Chevy dealer recommended them. I couldn't believe it.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Varsity Squad

Garage
I had Ziebart do my window tint and it was around $250 with a lifetime warranty. If you are paying less than $200 you are not getting high quality tint. If you go with cheap tint you will notice it within a year or two when it starts to fade, peel, bubble, etc. You get what you pay for. And your vert has the same windows as the coupe.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 07:57 PM

I would of gone 20 over 35 but I really didn't want to get hassled for it when 35% is the legal here.

Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LEDs everywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in