Grill Lighting - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Grill Lighting

I have been brainstorming things that I could do to my car, and I was thinking about throwing white or blue led's in the space behind my grill to give them a backlit effect. Just wondering if people have done this yet, or if it is legal? (I did a search and couldn't find anything).
Opinions would be much appreciated!

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I don't know how the laws are in MI. I know in IL you can't have underglow or anything similar due to the possibility of distracting people and causing accidents.

Sounds like a fun idea to try. I assume your thinking the upper grill? If I were you I'd try to hide the actual light itself, So you don't see where it's coming from, you just see the glow from it. Maybe match the LED's in your EE...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM

I grew up in MI and I do believe what you are thinking about doing would be illegal. I don't know if the laws have changed in the last 7 years since I have been gone, but I like your idea, I think it would look awesome!

Alpine s10" dual 2 ohm voice coil Subs in a ported box JBL GTO-14001 1500w amplifier, tint, stock everything else! Gotta fix the broken stuff first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

CrusinG6- Yes, I am thinking purely the upper grill.
06coupegt- I'm gonna keep doing some more research to see if I can find a law.

I won't be adding the lights till spring, once the weather is more cooperative. I think I am going to do it, but wire it into a switch inside the car or something, that way I can run with it on until I see a cop, then quick switch it off. I'll starting looking into how I can wedge it in there so there is only glow, I'm sure I will figure something out.

Performance

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:09 AM

That would look sooo sicks. Im pretty sure for something like that, most states' laws say that to have them on you need to be parked. At the very least, I would say they cannot be red or blue(emergency colors), but if you get a switch installed too it really shouldnt be to much of a problem. Tell me how it goes, and where you install them cause if it works I would like to do this too.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM

in all 50 states to operate a vehicle with Red, Blue or White lights visible while in operation is considered impersonating an emergency response vehicle. While the car is parked is legal
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Garage
match the eagle eyes!

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverttheclown View Post
match the eagle eyes!
So white leds? Or blue?

Performance

Exterior

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM

theres someone on here that has them in the upper grill.. i just dont remember who.... i also planned on doing this just didnt know when..

found these online http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=491920_0_0_

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87797
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM

scratch that... i found someone that installed them and just wired it to their fog lights.. heres his post about it

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ight#post72401

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchd17 View Post
I have been brainstorming things that I could do to my car, and I was thinking about throwing white or blue led's in the space behind my grill to give them a backlit effect. Just wondering if people have done this yet, or if it is legal? (I did a search and couldn't find anything).
Opinions would be much appreciated!
I have the LED strips on where the fogs are at, I hooked them up to my auto lights, I live in IL and have had no problems with the police.

As long as your license plate you can still see from 50 feet I think it is, its okay.

Then again i'm not a cop so I don't know all the rules.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

ryangski- thanks!

kcolgan- good to know, I'm gonna wire them to my headlights, but splice in a switch someone, then wire that through to the center counsel or somewhere by my left foot. I'm gonna chat with a couple of cops I know fairly well and see what the issues would be, if any. But either way, the switch would eliminate possible problems.

Performance

Exterior

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM

no problem.. and yeaah let us (me) know how the cop thing goes... cops here can be a real painn...

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Garage
take two led strips and cut them to fit and have them shine down from a mounted position as high as you can so you can't see the strips/bulbs but will pretty bright and you can adjust the brightness by cutting it more and more

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Performance

Exterior

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in