Tail light tinting - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
2009 Carbon Black 6

Tail light tinting

So there's a shop by my house and I called them this morning and they want $75 to spray tint my lights. He wouldn't tell me the procedure because he doesn't want it "getting out". Anyway, he told me that they bake the paint on and the whole process takes about 30 minutes. I am leery of this because I know it takes longer than 30 minutes to tint some tail lights. However, they have a 5 star rating. I've tried niteshades myself and failed. I've also tried peel and cling and vinyl so I figured it's time to pay someone to do it. Any thoughts on this? Also if you live in Michigan and know someone then that would be helpful. I just don't want my tail lights coming out of this shop looking like garbage.

2009 G6 V6 Sedan Carbon Black Metallic
3.5L V6 Fully Loaded

Current Mods: 8000K HIDS (Fogs & Lows), 15% tint all the way around, Debadged, Kenwood In-Dash Navigation

Upcoming: RacingLine STB, CAI, Tint Tail lights and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:44 PM

Garage
Where abouts in Michigan are you?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Garage
I haven't tried for myself yet but after looking around i think I'm gonna try the fly eyez tint. Read a lot of good reviews and seems the safest (legal) way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
2009 Carbon Black 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Magic View Post
Where abouts in Michigan are you?
I live in SE Michigan. Plymouth. If you don't know where that is then I'm in between Detroit and Ann Arbor. Closer to Ann Arbor. I called Maaco and apparently they do it for $89.95 but from what I heard, Maaco sucks. I have a couple cans of niteshades and clear but I don't want to do it myself. I would rather have PPG Black and Clear but can't find anyone to do it. Niteshades would be fine if I didn't have to pay someone $75 to do it.

3.5L V6 Fully Loaded

Current Mods: 8000K HIDS (Fogs & Lows), 15% tint all the way around, Debadged, Kenwood In-Dash Navigation

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
2009 Carbon Black 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlrchrls View Post
I haven't tried for myself yet but after looking around i think I'm gonna try the fly eyez tint. Read a lot of good reviews and seems the safest (legal) way.
Yeah every time I check that site they are always low on stock. I read about using Gila film. The peel and cling stuff. Doesn't work though. At least I wouldn't trust it at highway speeds.

3.5L V6 Fully Loaded

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM

so maaco said they would do it? if not what was the guys name you called? im in se michigan in eastpointe

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87797
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 PM

I just did mine with rust-oleum tail tint, did eyelids too turned out good, just make sure you take your time with the prep work

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
2009 Carbon Black 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangski View Post
so maaco said they would do it? if not what was the guys name you called? im in se michigan in eastpointe
Yes Maaco said they would do it. I called the one in Garden City. I wish I could see some of their work though.

3.5L V6 Fully Loaded

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM

welll i dont want to sound like an ass, but im getting mine done by someone in the next month or so, and i wanna keep it a secret, and once it's done i would be more than happy to give you the info and show you his work.... i wouldnt get fly eyes tint, i dont like the look and to me it doesnt look much different

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
2009 Carbon Black 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangski View Post
welll i dont want to sound like an ass, but im getting mine done by someone in the next month or so, and i wanna keep it a secret, and once it's done i would be more than happy to give you the info and show you his work.... i wouldnt get fly eyes tint, i dont like the look and to me it doesnt look much different
No that doesn't make you look like an ass. I have friends who are looking for a good tail light tinter too so whoever your guy is, let him know that he will make some money. Let me know how you like it and where to go.

3.5L V6 Fully Loaded

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM

i will fer shure

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Garage
I talked to my painter here at work and he said we can tint tails here. He did it on a co-workers vehicle and they turned out really good.

If anyone one wants them done in a state of the art paint booth with high quality material he said he would do it for $75.00.

I work at Merollis Chevrolet on Gratiot Ave in Eastpointe. Feel free to stop by and ask for Phil.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
2009 Carbon Black 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Magic View Post
I talked to my painter here at work and he said we can tint tails here. He did it on a co-workers vehicle and they turned out really good.

If anyone one wants them done in a state of the art paint booth with high quality material he said he would do it for $75.00.

I work at Merollis Chevrolet on Gratiot Ave in Eastpointe. Feel free to stop by and ask for Phil.
Has he only tinted one vehicle?

3.5L V6 Fully Loaded

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Garage
2 that I know of and he will be doing mine when I'm ready.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IT ONLY LOOKS FAST!!!

My Progression Thread
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Mr.G6, what happened when you tried doing VHT Niteshades yourself? Did you prep it correctly? Did it run? Did it bubble up? Was it uneven?
The way mine came out using VHT Niteshades looks very similar to the truck, but for a fraction of the cost.

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in