AIT bumper intallation questions? Help please... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
!

AIT bumper intallation questions? Help please...

hi Guys,

So last week I bumped the front end of my 06 g6. The collision destroyed the absorber behind the stock bumper cover, brake the lower DR side grille and bent the upper grill mesh. Progressive (my insurance company) quoted 979.00 for repair back to original condition. F*#k dat.

I found a new AIT bumper for 220.00 and I'm picking it up, so no shipping cost other than my gas.

I've been trying to find information on installing the AIT. I really don't see much pout there so I was hoping that some one in here could help me with a few answers.

1.) Do I still need to replace the absorber to install the AIT?

2.) How does it fit? does it need a body shop to coax it into looking right? Or is this something that I can do on the garage floor?

3.) Are the AIT mounting holes pre-drilled and use the factory hardware or will I need to come up with something else?

4.) Any idea how much it wold cost to paint the AIT bumper?

Thanks guys!

here are a few pictures of what went down so far.

this is the initial damage right after impact.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
!

Once I got home I decided to tear into her and see how bad she really is. After removing the upper grill, you can see that there's broken stuff here.

After pulling the bumper cover off I was pleased to see that there wasn't any more damage.

The steel bumper isn't even touched.

The headlight mount is cracked.

Top down, lookin' good.

Bumper cover didn't fair as well, you can see that it's deformed from the bumper. I noticed that there's stress cracks in the paint around the head light.

The plastic piece, I guess is the crash bumper and it did what it was supposed to do, and will need to be relaced.

The lower grill is pretty flexible and looked bad but I popped it back in.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 PM

Garage
Unfortunately I cannot speculate on the AIT bumper but as far as the absorber goes, you should definitely get another one. The absorber acts as a cushion for the front end. If you put it back on like it is or w/o it all together the next bump will likely do worse damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Magic View Post
Unfortunately I cannot speculate on the AIT bumper but as far as the absorber goes, you should definitely get another one. The absorber acts as a cushion for the front end. If you put it back on like it is or w/o it all together the next bump will likely do worse damage.
The AIT bumper does NOT have room to accommodate the absorber. This is where you sacrifice durability for style. Fiberglass is light, but it cracks easy and without the absorber (you will not be able to fit it, trust me, I had the bumper) it will explode if you hit something hard enough. Go look at my progression page at my bumper after I hit a plastic crate in the road.

Unless you have money rolling around, I highly recommend getting a OEM bumper. The AIT bumper will need to be custom fitted by someone who is familiar with fiberglass since it is guaranteed not to fit perfectly without some modification. There are no mounts or anything. You have to drill the holes yourself and fit it manually. Also fiberglass painting is a new beast compared to the plastic bumpers and some shops might charge extra or throw in stipulations.

Here is what you need:
- New painted OEM bumper (~$280) from http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAINTED-FRON...ht_1527wt_1163

The seller is qualitydiscountcarparts. They will match the bumper to your car code that you send them. They have awesome customer service and the bumper I got matched perfectly.

You can get a bumper absorber from rockauto for ~$120. Search around the For Sale section or eBay for replacing the grille items. I replaced my whole front end (grilles, bumper, absorber, emblem, fog lights) for like $400. The body shop gave me a $1100 estimate (with parts)... **** that... I put that OEM bumper on myself (it took two hours) and looks amazing.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 PM

I just did this on my G6 and I am currently waiting for a painted bumper from quality discount parts. Should get it this week I'll upload photos for to show color accuracy. Already replaced headlight.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1335157667.494889.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2860  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
!

Dude. you are awesome. I've been sweating this for a few days. There isn't much information on installing the AIT kit. I'm going to go OEM. Besides I think it would look pretty dumb with a AIT bumper and stock 16 in rims. I surely can't drop 1000 on wheels and tires just yet. Of all the e-bay bumpers I looked at none where painted. This is awesome.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:52 PM

Yeah I looked and looked and that's the only one I could find. Costs alot more painted but worth it to avoid the trouble

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 PM

Here's a link on how to remove the bumper cover also http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9787

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
!

Plus it will give me a reason to buy the chrome lowers and color match them.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
!

You will love this. here is my quote to fix it. they want to repair the old cover and spend 6 hours doing it and that doesn't include paint.

Thanks for the how to. That would have been handy when I took it off to see what was broken.

Last edited by Wisdom; 04-23-2012 at 12:08 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 AM

Wow that's crazy. I didn't even make a claim for mine I knew its be way to much. Cost me $345 to do it myself.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
!

I wanted to see what they would quote me. any way I just ordered the painted cover and the absorber. So its as good as done. I can salvage the grille pieces for now.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Awesome it'll be good in no time!

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Look at my progression page for color matching. Matches perfectly. Getting the painted bumper from that seller on eBay will be cheaper than buying the bumper separately and getting it painted locally.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Here it is

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1335548149.370148.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2903  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in