Window deflectors??? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Window deflectors???

Not sure which ones to go weather tech or auto vent shades what do you have or what do like thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
which ever you go with they are both quality products. the in channel visors are made by both of them and look better than the stick on ones. i'm sol since i have the coupe all in all its a great choice with either hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
i spent the extra bucks for the weathertechs... i love mine

if you dont get in channels dont get them at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 PM

I second the weathertechs. In channel is definitely the way to go. On my Grand Am, I used to have, I lost 2 stick on visors while going down the highway and I though they were stuck on yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM

Weather Tech vs. AVS vent visors window deflectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post
i spent the extra bucks for the weathertechs... i love mine

if you dont get in channels dont get them at all
Having have owned over 25 vehicles that I have placed vent visor window deflectors on, I think I kinda hold an edge here in reviewing them. For starters, having anyone say, "if you don't get in channels don't get them at all" is not a fair statement to make.

For some vehicles, in channel deflectors are not available, only outside deflectors. So someone looking to dress their vehicle and not getting the option to choose has only the outside channel deflectors to purchase.

As far as which is better to own, in or outside channel ones if you have a choice, then most certainly in channel ones are better for overall appearance 'only'. The reason I state this is simply because when in channel, the flow of the aerodynamics of them and your car are just better. Plus, you don't have the look on the exterior of the 3m tape beneath the visors.

However, playing devil's advocate and comparing the two mainstream companies that manufacture these, WeatherTech would be the only in channel ones I would advise anyone to use. Why? Simply put, the lip that goes inside the channel is extremely thin on WeatherTech compared to AVS ones. So you might think that thinner means easier to break? Nope, you cannot compare the two brands at all. AVS has been known to crack and break under high winds and due to below freezing temps for at least the past 20 years. WeatherTech's visors are made of some sort of material that is not plastic, as opposed to AVS brand which is plastic. Plus, on at least 3 of the cars I have had in channel visors from AVS on, getting them to stay in the channels and not damage the rubber around the channels was an issue. Because AVS visors are thicker, sometimes modifications had to be made just to get them to stay in and stick to the channel. I have never had a set of WeatherTech visors become faulty in any way. However, I know of at least 5 vehicles I have owned where the AVS brand sustained damage from normal every day use and had to be replaced.

So when it comes down to durability, WeatherTech is the winner!!

When it comes down to price, AVS is the winner!!

But remember, like anything else, you get what you pay for. Common sense there.

When it comes down to it with G6 vehicles, you have no choice but to purchase AVS brand visors when you own a coupe because there are no channels to place the visors into.

As for anyone complaining about AVS visors flying off their vehicles, I hate to say it, but you have nobody to blame but yourself. Outside stick on visors with 3m tape don't just come off on their own. There is a reason why instructions are included with every item you purchase for a car. READ THEM! If the surface you are placing the visors on is not properly prepped, then the tape will not adhere properly. You MUST use alcohol (actually better yet, wax and grease remover) on the area the tape is going to stick to in order to get the visors to adhere properly. If you do 5 mins of prep work, nothing flies off........ever! So once again, not to be mean, but if your visors fly off or fall off, it is you, not the manufacturer who did not do their job. TECH TIP: go to the auto paint store and buy a small applicator of 3m adhesion promotor. Apply where the tape is going to go and you will NEVER have an issue with any item that uses 3m tape coming off of any part of your car.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 PM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
i've had four vehicles with avs visors on them in my family and they have never failed on us but it all depends
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:41 PM

Redg6gt I know what you're saying about prep work. When mine came off it was the original tape on the visors that actually separated. I found the piece of the first one that broke and it still had tape on it as well as the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in