HID Problems... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

HID Problems...

So I've had nothing but problems with my HID's... Most of which are my fault
(one of which being that I've got the eagle eyes... and on it, it clearly states H11 for a bulb size... but H11 doesn't match the socket... it's working for now though, anyway)

My HID's look pretty cool in my opinion. I've made sure the wiring is all nice looking when the hood is up, that they are level and aren't blinding people and that my fogs just look good. But here is my problem. The passenger side headlight... refuses to come on sometimes. I've searched for this problem to nothing that has helped me. If I let the driver side warm up and then turn it off and back on... the passenger side USUALLY turns on and warms up and works fine. I'm assuming it has something to do with the relay not getting enough power to the passenger side. When I do turn my car on the headlight flickers and looks like it struggles to stay on but just doesn't and shuts off.

Another thing to make me believe that it might be something in that harness is that without the drivers side headlight plugged in... if I turn my lights on the passenger side works every time no matter what. But when the driver side gets plugged in and both have to turn on... it struggles, turns off and I basically have to wait for the one headlight to warm up before trying again.

What my question here is that what would be the best way about going to test the harness rather than buying a new one and having it shipped to me (I live in a dormitory on an Air Force base so everything basically gets delayed 3-4 extra days before I can pick it up). And since I'm not an electrical engineer... I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to how relays work and whatnot.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Swap the ballast from drivers to passengers and passengers to drivers and see if the problem follows the the ballast or stays on the passenger side. I had the same problem you did with the light turning on for a second flickering then shutting off. My ballast was bad and had it replaced under warranty from ddm. If it stays on the passenger side you might just need a relay harness.

As for eagle eyes not taking h11 like it says on the housing it's because they use the aftermarket housing that resembles our stock one, just projectors were stuck in and they never changed the wording.

Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LEDs everywhere
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Swapping the ballasts had the same effect... passenger side would just struggle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

From the sound of it you have your HIDs connected with a relay and secondary circuit? What gauge wire did you use? And just one relay for both lights or one for each? The passenger light being further from the battery could be having problems starting up due to a tad too much resistance. HIDs need a big surge of power to start up. If the wire is too small of a gauge you could be simply running out of current to start the other light.

Also what wattage are your ballasts 35 or 55?
My HIDs are in without a harness with no issues at 35w. You may also want to consider cleaning all the connectors from the harness to the bulb and maybe add some dielectric grease to keep things clean.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

No secondary circuit. The fogs have their own Harness and the Lows have their own harness. I used the harness from DDM tuning. It's all from DDM. So one relay for both lows and one relay for the fogs (2 total)

55w Ballasts. I want to find out if my harness is bad or if it just isn't getting the right amount of power right away, correct?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM

Try running the passenger one on the stock wiring and see if it works. If it does, its probably just a bad harness. Or try using the foglight harness on the lows.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Maybe the 55watt is giving off too much power? could that even be a possibility?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

That's what I was thinking. I hear a lot more about people having problems with the 55w kits. primarily a lot of flickering as the ballast tries to kick on but can't because of the resistance in the wiring. I.E. not enough power for the initial start up.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thats what the problem SEEMS to be from my point of view.

On a side note - When the car is off... and the light is on... it does seem to flicker... just the passenger side does this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I had a similar problem on an older set of HIDs I had. The passenger side always seemed to kind of flicker.
It wasn't like a normal flicker. It seemed more like the arc was bouncing around the bulb more then it should.

Although you swapped ballasts... I'd say do it again, And see if they still do that while the car is off on the passenger side.

It might even be a good idea to add a second relay. So you have one relay for each headlight and one for both fogs.

But I'm leaning towards a somewhat iffy ballast... Or it's possible the bulb could be at fault too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in