Interior Lighting Question - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Interior Lighting Question

My Daughter can never make up her mind on things. I purchased her a grey g6 for her 16th birthday coming up and she wanted to make some changes to the inside.

I installed her a new headuniit that has the ability to change the color of the screen and all that good stuff. Of course after doing so it stuck out like a sore thumb with all the other lights inside red. Now I could have taken the easy route and just replaced the leds with the color of her choice but then down the road when she changed her mind and changed her radio color I would be in the same boat again.

To solve this I decided to replace the lights with rgb leds. I created a circuit and wired it all up. Installed a potentiometer with a knob in the free blank spot to the left of the steering wheel next to the knob that controls the brightness of the lights. Simply turn the new knob and watch the lights change colors. Its all working great and now its time to replace more of the lights to do the same thing.

What I want to know is if anyone knows if the switches in the driver door are bulbs that can be replaced or are the built into the switches? After changing the door bulbs I have already started the mod to change the cluster also to all rgb leds so everything will change together.

Few pics sofar.

Last edited by farrelan; 11-02-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Legend

Garage
First thing i have to say is thats bad ass how you hooked that up with the RGB's. i like to think im pretty good with wiring but you obviously know what the hell your doing. haha as far as the doors ive seen people with different color door buttons so that leads me to believe that it can be changed. idk how easy it is but it can be done. and good luck with all the LED change ups. wish i had someone that handy with electrical to do all mine lol

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Its was pretty simple to get it hooked up after I got all the code worked out for the micro-controller. I will get a pic of the knob later when I go outside to remove those switches. Guess I will rip into it and see what we can do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Looking good! Just curious... where did you get the leds from? I want to replace my idiot lights on the dash with rgb's. So like if my cel came on. It would just continuously change colors ha.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

The leds in those knobs I just used 5mm Diffused RGB LED Common Anode from ebay.

The leds in the dash with the speedometer and whatnot is a diff beast. The current leds are some very small 0603 smd leds. There are no rgb leds of this size so I had to put a little thought into that mod. What I decided to do was get some 5050 smd rgb leds. I removed all the old leds and used some very thin wire to jump all the new leds together running the grounds to my controller and I hooked the power up to where the existing power was at. This way whichever light that was ment to be on would come on. I then used a small amount of hot glue to attach the new leds in the spot where the old ones was at.

I have been doing this with a used cluster I got so that if I broke it I wouldn't be destroying her good one. After I get it 100% I can easily remove the leds and transfer them setup to her real cluster.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I like how you did that. Thanks for that info!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I decided to bust open the switches in the drivers door today and see what we had to work with.

The main cluster of switches (windows up and down) has 2 3mm lights soldered to the board. They are pretty easy to remove without a problem. I will remove both and replace with 2 5mm defused leds soldering the power to the same power source. I will wire these 2 leds in parallel.

The switch for to unlock doors and adjust mirrors have 1 single 3mm light inside each. These are not so easy to deal with. Still thinking on what to do here. I used the last of my resistors so I need to run and get some in the morning maybe by then I will have a good idea on these.

Will keep you guys informed as I go in case anyone every wants to do this mod.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
thats pretty bad-ass.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Very cool. I may have to do this in the future ha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
some of my lights are going out could i pay someone to do this to my car
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Becks I'll help ya out. I'm not afraid of some soldering and such. If the op could post a pic or two for a better idea of what I'm dealing with I'll be even more willing ha
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

This is the pic of the mirror controls. You an see the one bulb soldered in place. I had a red cover over it to give it the red look.

This is a pic of the window controls. You can see the 2 bulbs covered with a red rubber object.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Thanks! So after all that the bulbs aren't even red? Just a red cover?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Yes all the bulbs except the dash cluster are just normal 3mm bulbs with red rubber covers over them. If you could find some other color covers for them it would be very simple to change the color without having to remove the bulbs.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Legend

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrelan View Post
Yes all the bulbs except the dash cluster are just normal 3mm bulbs with red rubber covers over them. If you could find some other color covers for them it would be very simple to change the color without having to remove the bulbs.
just use a sharpie. blue sharpie over light= blue light lol

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in