Steelies - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Steelies

I'm going for a black out look with my white G6 and I'm still on steelies. I like them actually but they are rusty in some spots and in need of a paint job. I could sand them but... The rust is where the spoke connects to the outer part of the wheel. How do you even get to that with sandpaper and what should I do to prep them for paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I run steelies myself. Sand them and scuff them the best you can. Prep is everything. Then hit it with a good coat of sealer primer. This will stop rust from worsening and looking crappy. Then you can hit it with the color you want. After that you can add clear coat to really make em shine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

What did you use to sand them? The points of the spokes look so difficult to get into with any credible sanding? Hand sanded, Sand block, Angle grinder with wire or sand wheel, or etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Oh we just got a scuffing pad (similar to what is on the back of a sponge) (available at auto and hardware stores in the paint section) and just went over it all by hand as best as I could. I didn't worry to much about the spaces between the spokes and the barrel. I put a real good coat of sealer primer on and have yet to see any rust peaking out.

You can only get so far with sanding/scuffing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

How did you not get it on your tires? (I'm going with black anyways lol)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

A roll of painters tape. Tucked between the rim and tire, then I just taped off the rest of the sidewall. Black or not it looks cleaner when its done right.

I've also seen people use a deck of cards, stick em standing up between the rim and tire, but then you have limited working room.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I just needed to know how you kept the paint from the tires. I am putting on some wheel spacers soon (because I like when the tires are closer to being flush with the body of the g6 because it looks nice) and I have a new impact that I'm itching to test out. I'm gonna take off the wheels and do an in depth tread inspection and check my brake pads... Lots of stuff to do... while I wait for my paint to dry
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I just used a roll of Scotch blue painters tape. Like I said tuck the edge between the rim and tire and just tape off the tire.
I got some 1inch spacers myself. But the studs hit the back of the wheel. So I got shorter lugs for it and have to cut down all 20 studs about 1/4 of an inch and I should be golden. I also plan to roll my fenders in preparation for flushness and to thwart rubbing issues...

Last edited by CruisinG6; 12-20-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in