Stock fogs in my o6 base. Is it easy? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Stock fogs in my o6 base. Is it easy?

A quick question I would like fogs and want to know what would be involved in install. I know a lot off times the wiring is there and one can add lights relay and a fuse and away we go. I want it to look stock but it need not be just it to look like it could have been Oem. And I want it to use the same switch it would on factory stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Garage
It is not that simple I'm afraid. Unfortunately they are not prewired. I did exactly what you want to do but it got to a point where I was unable to finish the job and had to send my car to a mobile electronics store to have them finish it. I purchased the factory fog lamp option front lamp harness, factory switch and the pigtail to the switch. I replaced the harness myself before realizing that the fog lamps are routed through the BCM from the factory and required wiring I was not able to accomplish. The mobile electronics store wired in the switch for me and had to use some sort of module to bypass the BCM. Everything works fine except the light on the switch itself doesn't work. I ended up paying a small fortune and going way overboard to make the fogs factory looking. Cruisin did a really clean install with some aftermarket fogs that I believe was not near as complicated. I would check with him on what he did.

IT ONLY LOOKS FAST!!!

My Progression Thread
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Legend

Garage
Re: Stock fogs in my o6 base. Is it easy?

I installed the stock fogs in my base. I just ran a power to the battery to a switch and then to an inline fuse then the fogs and they work like a champ. It's not the OEM switch but I mounted my new one in the same place. That's the hands down easiest way to go. It may not look stock as far as the switch goes but it does the job its supposed to do.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Could the stock fogs be wired to turn on with the headlights auto. Then I wouldn't need the switch at all or would that over load the circuit. Trying to avoid the extra switch at all cost.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genyc07 View Post
Could the stock fogs be wired to turn on with the headlights auto. Then I wouldn't need the switch at all or would that over load the circuit. Trying to avoid the extra switch at all cost.
Yes you could do that. Adding a relay would prevent overloading the exsisting circuit.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok so is there a reason other than I blew a bulb and am embarrassed that I would want my fog off when the headlight is on?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Legend

Garage

You could wire it to a relay and everything but I feel like it would still over load it depending if you had halogen or hid fogs. When I first hooked up my fogs to the running lights. It worked with the halogen but as soon as I put the hids in it blew the fuse almost immediately. If you ever wanted to turn off your fogs I would just wire it to something beside the low beam to save yourself having to change it down the road. And you can also mount the switch somewhere more discreet so you can't easily see it. Like inside your ashtray to the side of your left knee so it would be hidden but easily accessible.

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Legend

Garage

Also you would have to pull the DRL fuse if you wired it to your low beams do it wouldn't come on during the day. Myself for instance my headlights automatically come on around dusk or earlier but I don't turn on my fogs until its actually dark out.

J DOG

MODS

Progression
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I just realized you said Stock Fog lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genyc07 View Post
Could the stock fogs be wired to turn on with the headlights auto....
Since that's the case you don't need to worry about a separate circuit because the fogs already have their own. (If you plan to get HIDs however I'd strongly recommend adding a wiring harness to be sure there's enough power for those HIDs)

But to get the fogs on whenever you turn the lights on, you can just put a jumper wire between the headlight fuse or relay to the fog light relay. So whenever the headlights are on, it'll also trigger the fog light relay and turn them on. This can be accomplished with a sort length of wire hidden inside the fuse box.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok so we agree I can buy stock fogs. If running halogen it should be no problem to wire to the headlight circuit as trigger for a relay and set it up that way. I would wire it my low beams but in theory could I wire them to my corner markers or would the fogs flash w the turn signal?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Legend

Garage

Yes the stock fogs will work fine. It's just a housing its the bulb inside you have to worry about. But I wired mine to my corner lights at first if you stay with halogen that will work just fine bit if you want to put hids in it will overload it. And no they don't flash with your blinker. There is 2 purple wires coming out of the back of the corner light one is its constant power and one is the blinker power. Just take a multi meter or volt meter and test each wire and find which ones volts stay constant and which one flickers with the blinker. Also I got a couple h11 harnesses to make it easier to wire. I wired the positive and negative normally to the wire coming out of the connector and then plugged the bulb in. You can get them at a auto parts store for a few bucks each. I just cut mine off some vehicle in the junk yard and called it a day. Lol

J DOG

MODS

Progression
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM

Just make sure you are only piggy backing off the stock markers or low beams to trigger your relay. Draw your power directly from the battery so you aren't causing more damage by overloading the stock wiring. If you want control over when the lights are on, run a switch between the relay and the stock wiring. You could even modify one of DDM's HID harnesses which would be very simple to do.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

I was looking more into this the stock fog switch isn't too much money used could I wire using it and wire as u detailed?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

The problem with the stock fog switch is it isn't a normal on/off switch. Its a momentary switch. Where the circuit is complete only while you're holding down the switch. The bcm uses that signal to actually turn the fogs on or off.

You could still make it work though. You just need a couple of relays and a diode. I found info online somewhere a long time ago. I'll see if I can find it again...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

That would be awesome thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in