Issues with HIDs - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Issues with HIDs

Have a set of HIDs on my 06. I've had HIDs on other cars, so I know how they operate and wire up. They worked fine for awhile, now my driver side won't come on. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced it with higher and won't blow, but still won't come on. Do I need a relay harness? I thought those were only needed of not plug and play?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:03 AM

First of all, you should never replace a fuse with one of a higher value, unless you know the wiring can handle more current. Try taking the ballast from the passenger side and see if it will work on the drivers side. If it does, your ballast is likely shot. The relay harness is used to draw power directly off the battery. It ensures there is adequate power for start up and since the DRL circuit runs on less power, it provides the proper power to keep the lights running.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

It's raining right now, so it will have to wait. I do know both bulbs work as I have put each on the passenger side ballast and it works. I'll swap the other ballast to see if it works on the passenger side wiring.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

And I only swapped the fuse temporary to see if it would blow. Figured that would be a short? It did work and then just stopped. I'll post my result tomorrow or later if it stops raining.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:37 AM

You need a relay harness. I had the same issue with mine. My regular lights, high beams are 6K 55W HIDs and my fogs are 6K 35W HIDs. IF you run a 55W kit you definitely need a relay harness. Most 35W kits don't need them. Also depending how you lay out your wiring, excessive heat can cause the fuse to burn out...I was having trouble with mine, kept flickering or just shutting off, then i noticed the fuse was melted. Where i had it located, it was too close to the engine, and the heat caused it to melt. I layed out my wiring it neatly and away from anything that will cause obstructions/heat. Hope this helps with your situation.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Currently I am also facing the same problem. I read out interesting and informative ideas. It is dead easy and pretty difficult to go wrong. This will be helpful for me. thanks everyone...

Vehicle Modifications

>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<Adrien>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited by Adrien8100; 10-05-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in