Baking headlights quick help!!!! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Baking headlights quick help!!!!

im baking my headlights. i saw a guy did it on here by baking at 200 for 20-30 minutes. the silcone is still gray and isnt really softening up that much. anyone have suffestions. im still baking them now so i need help qquick. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:20 PM

If they're 2007 or later it won't work

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

their 2006s. i gave up..... i had them in and out of the oven from 12-230. me and my dad were prying as hard as we dared to try the seal would heat up it my hard chalk grey shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 PM

I just baked a set to paint the insides black, no problem. Don't know what happened. There's a how too on here with pics if that helps

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yea I tried in my lights (2009) and the the plastic surrounding the glue started to melt before the glue did.
I wonder if GM actually started with that mid to late 2006....

I read somewhere that someone actually managed to get them open by cutting away at the glue. But I feel like that'll be a very long and tedious process. And it probably won't seal well in the end.

Were you looking to paint the insides? I know they sell black OEM headlights online, I've seen them on eBay before.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

yeah i was gunna paint them black and tint the amber lens alil bit to dim down the orange. ive seen them for sale for like 178 but at that point id consider spending like 40 more and get angel eyes. imma poor college kid tho so i cut corners where i can i already got a 1970 camaro that robs my bank account haha
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Haha I know the feeling man. The next best bet I can think of is to find some OEM headlights off an older G6 somewhere, but it'll only really be worth it if you find a good price.
I have two sets of headlights that can not be baked open. So I ended up wrapping mine in light smoke vinyl just to bring down the brightness of the chrome.
My second set I plan to wrap in yellow vinyl for that race car look, primarily for meets or events haha.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad67 View Post
I just baked a set to paint the insides black, no problem. Don't know what happened. There's a how too on here with pics if that helps

Chad, any help on how to get the chrome plastic piece out of the lens? I want to paint mine black too, but for the life of me, I can't get this thing unstuck from the lens. I've removed the 2 screws and released the 3 plastic tabs on the other side, but it's stuck, Stuck, STUCK!!

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM

Nevermind, I got it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in