Halo headlight recommendation 2007 G6 Convertible - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Halo headlight recommendation 2007 G6 Convertible

I want to swap out the stock headlights for the CCFL halo ones. I'm not sure where to start. I've seen some on eBay, but I don't want to drop $300 on something that turns out to be crap.

I'd prefer HID, but I'm pretty sure the high beams can't be HID because of the ignition requirement of the bulbs.

So the question is, is there an HID halo headlight for this car with a bright-white HID-like high beam?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Perfessor

Garage
Crosby1 -

If you get CCFL's similar to mine (see your other post), I don't see why you cannot install an HID kit for the hi beams also. The included ballast in the kits take care of everything. On my lights, the low beam are H7's and the hi's are H1's (less than $30 each at DDM Tuning). Here's a link to the kits - http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

When looking for the ccfl halo headlights, DO NOT GO WITH SPYDER!!!!! Im sure every other 6er on here would agree that it isn't the way to go. I have them and the projector themselves are complete crap on the lo beams. Look up Eagle Eyes. Im not sure as far as wattage what the eagle eyes can handle but i know my 35W are just fine to drive with. And i have 5000K on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Perfessor

Garage
I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement, but I've read that even the 55W HID's run cooler that Halogen bulbs. But, 55W HID's 'wash out' some of the color the the bulbs due to the extra power. I erred on the side of caution and went with the 35W kits. Just in case.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Agreed. I have only heard it. I want to test it but don't know anyone on base that actually went with 55w.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G6 Base Sedan 3.5L VVT White Diamond Tricoat
Mods: Window tint 20% all around besides front, 2009.5 spoiler, Eagle Eyes, OPT7 55W 5000K Low beam, OPT7 35W 3000K Fogs, Recessed grills dipped black, Interior trim pieces red to match lights, Wheels primed and painted flat black (powdercoat soon), custom side exit exhaust with magnaflow performance tip, Roof Spoiler, Racingline STB, Chevy Caprice Push Bumper Custom Mounted, Plasti dipped door handles, door trim, and fuel door.
Mods to come: OPT7 55W 5000K High beam, OBX Cat-back with electric cutout, Pedders Lowering Springs, Powdercoat Rims (Gloss Black), 2009.5 spoiler color matched, MPD hood, GM Ground Effects
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardsrok24 View Post
Im sure every other 6er on here would agree that it isn't the way to go.
I wouldn't. But I also think all aftermarket projector headlights are crap. If I was going to upgrade my headlights, I would be buying the spyders, but I would also be buying a set of Morimoto bi-xenon projectors, Morimoto HIDs and SMD LED halos to retrofit iinto them.

That imo, is the ultimate headlight setup for these cars.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

Any opinion on these? http://www.protuninglab.com/05pog6duccha3.html

They're are made by Anzo USA. I don't know if that's a good manufacturer or not. Better than Spyder?

Also, my understanding is that since the HID bulbs essentially need to ignite and warm up before they come to operating temperature, they're no good for "flashing" the high beams. Also, the "flashing" wears out out the bulb and the ballast prematurely.

Last edited by crosby1; 11-30-2013 at 07:00 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 11:35 AM

If you plan on putting them in and not modifying them, then yes they are better than the spyders.

You are correct about the high beams.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 11:56 AM

Dmanj that is actually a really good idea. What halos would you suggest though? Getting some Oracle ones?

Mods: Window tint 20% all around besides front, 2009.5 spoiler, Eagle Eyes, OPT7 55W 5000K Low beam, OPT7 35W 3000K Fogs, Recessed grills dipped black, Interior trim pieces red to match lights, Wheels primed and painted flat black (powdercoat soon), custom side exit exhaust with magnaflow performance tip, Roof Spoiler, Racingline STB, Chevy Caprice Push Bumper Custom Mounted, Plasti dipped door handles, door trim, and fuel door.
Mods to come: OPT7 55W 5000K High beam, OBX Cat-back with electric cutout, Pedders Lowering Springs, Powdercoat Rims (Gloss Black), 2009.5 spoiler color matched, MPD hood, GM Ground Effects
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 12:35 PM

I honestly haven't looked into to it much, so I can't really give a recommendation.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 PM

I was looking around earlier and Oracle has a new plasma halo ring which combined ccfl and led

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dmanj. Very helpful info.

I don't think I'd modify these and they come with the HID pre-installed for the low beams. Looks like plug-and-play to me.

Are there any halogen bulbs that would come close to the color of a 6000k HID that I could put in for the high beams? I think the size on these is H1.

Did some internet searching, but can't really tell color/quality on a website.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in