LED Tail Lights and Eagle Eyes - Pontiac G6 Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

LED Tail Lights and Eagle Eyes

Hi guys I have done some research on installing LED tail lights and eagle eye headlights.

For the LED tail lights I have read about having to install a resistor to make them work properly. In the description on the site to buy them it says they are plug and play. I just want to clarify what I need before I buy them?

For the headlights I have seen that they are for the most part plug and play but have seen one members install guide and they had to drill a hole to allow one of the tabs?? to fit correctly. Will I need to do any drilling or will they install right up?

If you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated. I do have a coupe as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irock99 View Post
Hi guys I have done some research on installing LED tail lights and eagle eye headlights.

For the LED tail lights I have read about having to install a resistor to make them work properly. In the description on the site to buy them it says they are plug and play. I just want to clarify what I need before I buy them?

For the headlights I have seen that they are for the most part plug and play but have seen one members install guide and they had to drill a hole to allow one of the tabs?? to fit correctly. Will I need to do any drilling or will they install right up?

If you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated. I do have a coupe as well.

Tail Lights:
If you are buying tail lights that use built-in LEDs for blinkers, you will likely NOT have to use a load resistor; however, if you are putting LED bulbs into a set of non-LED tail lights, you will have to add a load resistor across the ground and blinker wires. Don't be intimidated, it's stupidly simple.

Headlights:
If anything, just make sure you do NOT buy Spyder Auto headlights. They're absolute crap. The best you can get for aftermarket projector headlights are Eagle Eyes, but I still wouldn't recommend buying those if you're planning to use HIDs. Although HIDs will fit perfectly in them, the light output isn't even comparable to a proper, true HID projector. As for the drilling thing, you'll have to drill a hole in each crossmember for the aiming adjuster screw to extend far enough to aim the lights high enough. Either that or you can chop a bit of the adjuster screw off, whatever you want. My recommendation here is to get someone, like me, to retrofit your stock headlights with an HID projector. I guarantee you'll be happy you did.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 06:47 PM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

I would agree with that post. I did the wrong thing by buying spyder headlights. I actually just had to rewire my passenger headlight cause the writing in it is crap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1393206415803.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	7474  

2008 Pontiac G6 Base Sedan 3.5L VVT White Diamond Tricoat
Mods: Window tint 20% all around besides front, 2009.5 spoiler, Eagle Eyes, OPT7 55W 5000K Low beam, OPT7 35W 3000K Fogs, Recessed grills dipped black, Interior trim pieces red to match lights, Wheels primed and painted flat black (powdercoat soon), custom side exit exhaust with magnaflow performance tip, Roof Spoiler, Racingline STB, Chevy Caprice Push Bumper Custom Mounted, Plasti dipped door handles, door trim, and fuel door.
Mods to come: OPT7 55W 5000K High beam, OBX Cat-back with electric cutout, Pedders Lowering Springs, Powdercoat Rims (Gloss Black), 2009.5 spoiler color matched, MPD hood, GM Ground Effects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0M1NIX View Post
Tail Lights:
If you are buying tail lights that use built-in LEDs for blinkers, you will likely NOT have to use a load resistor; however, if you are putting LED bulbs into a set of non-LED tail lights, you will have to add a load resistor across the ground and blinker wires. Don't be intimidated, it's stupidly simple.

Headlights:
If anything, just make sure you do NOT buy Spyder Auto headlights. They're absolute crap. The best you can get for aftermarket projector headlights are Eagle Eyes, but I still wouldn't recommend buying those if you're planning to use HIDs. Although HIDs will fit perfectly in them, the light output isn't even comparable to a proper, true HID projector. As for the drilling thing, you'll have to drill a hole in each crossmember for the aiming adjuster screw to extend far enough to aim the lights high enough. Either that or you can chop a bit of the adjuster screw off, whatever you want. My recommendation here is to get someone, like me, to retrofit your stock headlights with an HID projector. I guarantee you'll be happy you did.

These are the tail lights I was looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290613012353

So with these I shouldn't have to use resistors. I have also seen that people have blown fuses when installing these if they don't install them the right way before turning them on. Would that be something I need to worry about beforehand?

I will definitely be going with eagle eyes as I have heard poor reviews on the spyders. I don't plan on going with HIDs just wanted to know if the stock eagle eyes will be plug and play aside from the drilling.

Thanks again for the response it is very helpful!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:

So with these I shouldn't have to use resistors. I have also seen that people have blown fuses when installing these if they don't install them the right way before turning them on. Would that be something I need to worry about beforehand?

I will definitely be going with eagle eyes as I have heard poor reviews on the spyders. I don't plan on going with HIDs just wanted to know if the stock eagle eyes will be plug and play aside from the drilling.

Correct. With those, you won't have to use load resistors. If you blow a fuse for whatever reason, you can always get a set of 5 from AutoZone for like $3.

If you would like to go with Eagle Eyes then it's up to you. I'll just let you know of a few things:

1. A retrofit for your stock housings wouldn't be much more expensive than buying a pair of Eagle Eyes. Even for the slightly higher cost, I guarantee you'll be much happier with the light output. You also won't have to do any drilling.
2. You will most likely have to seal the Eagle Eyes up with some [black] silicone because they typically have some type of a moisture issue.
3. I've personally seen pairs of Eagle Eyes and Spyders that have the UV protective coating peeling off. Although stock lights will still oxidize over time, you can always restore them without issues, especially since their coating doesn't peel off.

Good luck with whatever you do!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0M1NIX View Post
Correct. With those, you won't have to use load resistors. If you blow a fuse for whatever reason, you can always get a set of 5 from AutoZone for like $3.

If you would like to go with Eagle Eyes then it's up to you. I'll just let you know of a few things:

1. A retrofit for your stock housings wouldn't be much more expensive than buying a pair of Eagle Eyes. Even for the slightly higher cost, I guarantee you'll be much happier with the light output. You also won't have to do any drilling.
2. You will most likely have to seal the Eagle Eyes up with some [black] silicone because they typically have some type of a moisture issue.
3. I've personally seen pairs of Eagle Eyes and Spyders that have the UV protective coating peeling off. Although stock lights will still oxidize over time, you can always restore them without issues, especially since their coating doesn't peel off.

Good luck with whatever you do!
Could you PM me with a price for a stock headlamp retrofit?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Could you PM me with a price for a stock headlamp retrofit?

Would you please email me? My address is [email protected]
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Perfessor

Garage
Quote:

iRock,
You can also get your projector headlamp from Sabersport (the same company your looking at for your tail lights). I got mine from them a few years ago (4 or so) and while I have had a few problems, they were very helpfull in fixing them.

The first time was a seal problem on the passenger light. I sent them pics of all the condensation on the inside and the sent me a replacement, nqa.

The second problem was the back plate warping. this time they replaced the set with new ones, I just put down a $210 deposit which I got back after sending the bad ones in.

Sabersport is a good company in my experience.

As for the other part that the others were 'discussing'. I did need to drill a small hole a bit larger than the adjustment screw (not the knob) to go thru the frame at that point. Easy enough. Just remember to spray a bit of paint thru the hole to prevent rusting.

And do your adjusting at night, lol.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Perfessor

Garage
I forgot to mention, that I'm talking about the CCFL Headlights that they have. Here a link.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 AM

D0M1NIX would you ever suggest retrofitting the spyder projectors with morimotos? I like the look of the spyder lights but just hate the light output.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 AM

Take a look at my Spyder retrofit thread!

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25217
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM

Thanks man. I will after work. Government computers dont allow G6 Performance. But oddly enough they allow this site O_o
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardsrok24 View Post
Thanks man. I will after work. Government computers dont allow G6 Performance. But oddly enough they allow this site O_o

You're welcome! Weird... Lol
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 05:29 PM

its really weird. And i saw the posts during lunch. What would you charge to do a retrofit like that on a pair of spyder headlights?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardsrok24 View Post
its really weird. And i saw the posts during lunch. What would you charge to do a retrofit like that on a pair of spyder headlights?

Depends what options you want. Email me at [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in