Onstar mirror upgrade - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Onstar mirror upgrade

The Buick has an autodimming onstar rearview mirror. My gf's 08 G6 has a nondimming OnStar rearview mirror. Can I swap these out or will it need to be reprogrammed by the dealer?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 AM
08 convertible

Mirrors don't need reprogramming. But the 2 mirrors you intend to swap must have the same connector. And the same mounting scheme.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxG6 View Post
Mirrors don't need reprogramming. But the 2 mirrors you intend to swap must have the same connector. And the same mounting scheme.
Thank you. I ordered and received the mirror and it mounted with no problems. But I don't think the pin outs are the same. The right hand light illuminates when the car is on but the left hand light doesn't illuminate at all. The power button doesn't seem to do anything either and I'm trying to figure out if the pin outs are wrong or if the auto dimming is broken.

I believe there are 3 wires being used out of 16 possibly. The old mirror has OnStar but no auto dimming. I was hoping it would be a easy swap.

I ordered this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-11-BUICK...53.m1438.l2649
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

I've come across some wiring schematics and it looks like my gf's g6 does not have the accessory nor backup lamps cable.

Is it possible the additional wires are above the headliner? I took the dome lights off and couldn't really find the wiring for the mirror.

I'm hoping I can just order a replacement harness and the additional wires are in the headliner unused.

I'm hoping GM used the same wire bundle across all of their g6 line.

Onstar works though.

Any ideas how I can get accessory power to it?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:01 PM
2007 gt retractable

on my conv i removed the drivers side pillar and the center light and fished a wire in for my rear camera mirror.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenish View Post
on my conv i removed the drivers side pillar and the center light and fished a wire in for my rear camera mirror.
Thank you. I was hoping GM ran all the wires but only used what was needed behind the dome lights.

Any ideas on how to crimp the wire inside of the stock harness that plugs into the mirror?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in