graphics ideas for 08 GT convertible? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

graphics ideas for 08 GT convertible?

I just purchased an 08 g6 GT convertible (loved my 06 gtp- had to get another after it hit 230,000). I do plan on doing some mods pretty quickly as I am disappointed with the power on this compared to the gtp, but I also wanted to make my big butted boy look more sporty. i already have the projection led headlights with halos that were delivered today (gtp had them in halogen and liked them but needed more light output) but I'm thinking double hood scoops and some sort of striping but think the double wide stripes down center too much). Looking for ideas. Photos appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:33 PM

Power difference is related to exhaust. The required routing adds restriction.
A 2007 3.9 = 240 hp, 2007 3.9 cnv = 224 hp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Required routing? Meaning it cannot be rerouted and no chance of power increase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Required routing? Meaning it cannot be rerouted and no chance of power increase?
I took my car to two exhaust shops and the short answer was "No". The retractable has X braces bolted to the undercarriage to reinforce the unibody. The exhaust pipe from the center tunnel to the muffler runs a torturous path between the braces, body and fuel tank where the pipe is somewhat flattened and sharply bent for clearance. One of the shops specialized in custom mandrel bends and was interested but indicated the braces would need modification as well and the cost would likely be prohibitive. The other shop said he'd try to obtain an OEM pipe if the original ever needed replacing but otherwise would leave it alone.

Mark

Still standing in North Idaho...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:59 PM

I put a 1 inch spacer under the x brace in the left rear for clearance and custom built a full size pipe all the way just like the puny stocker . It was easy.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistech View Post
I put a 1 inch spacer under the x brace in the left rear for clearance and custom built a full size pipe all the way just like the puny stocker . It was easy.

I am interested to hear about the custom build. Is this at-home or how did you do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:51 AM

I did it in in an afternoon. I bought all the bends and elbows required off ebay out of 2" stainless . I replaced the factory resonator with a straight through "glass pack" . The muffler is a side inlet and double end outlet just like the stocker which is also a straight through . Married to the stock tips. At idle and cruising its pretty much quiet but under load you get a throaty brapp out of it. I realize they wanted it to be quiet for open top cruising but going with a 1 1/4" pipe when its 2 " coming off the engine is just absurd. I built my system to be quick and effective and out of stainless to hold up in the rust belt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190810_063514916.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	14067  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:53 AM

Spacers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190810_063625488.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	14069  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:54 AM

A couple of nuts as spacers on the x brace gives all the clearance needed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Ill add that to my list! I got the headlights installed but still working out bugs with the RBG lights (after connecting bluetooth to program- lights would not turn off at all),,,called support and will work on it this weekend. Hood scoops came in as did side vents I ordered. Good thing I have to buy paint for scoops as someone left a cart next to my car on passenger side while I was working in my car (even though I park with a space on each side in an aisle that is far from door)...I couldn't see it from my seat...scraped up front wheel well pretty good when I backed out against it. Grrr! Ex husband said he'd fix it when he does scoops and touches up chips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in