Smoked Taillight help - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Chris_G6
Smoked Taillight help

I am wanting to "smoke" my G6 Sedans's taillights and i want a shiny appearance to them, not that flat-black crap. Anybody done this?

<The Silver Bullet>
- 8K HID headlights
- Custom Short Ram Intake
- Sport Edition F8 17" Rims
- Powerslot Rotors w/ Hawk pads
- Optima Red-Top Battery
- Streetglow Undercar Neon Kit
- 12" Kicker L7 on Kenwood Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Michigan G6er

i put vht nightshade on mine then put like 3 coats of clear and they came out really nice

Pontac G6 Sedan 3.5L
Exterior- 8000k HIDS lows, 8000k HIDs fog lights, 20% window tint, Tinted taillights, painted grilles (top and bottom) to match, Custom painted engine cover and battery box, Red painted calipers.
Performance- Crab Intake, Racing Line Performance strut tower brace, GT-R Custom Magnaflow exhaust.
Interior- red LED's on inside, custom painted interior trim to match outside, Memphis sub and Amp, Custom fiberglass sub enclosure.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 PM

this was done with nightshades 3 coats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shaded lights.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1094  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Not that everyone cares but, I was told that smoked out tail lights were illegal in some states? So be careful!!! And I was told that its illegal here at home too.....Ontario, Canada!?........Legally, I could be wrong!

BTW, they do look great!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Michigan G6er

its only illegal if you cant see red when they are light up. so you should be alright i did three coats on me and no problems.

Pontac G6 Sedan 3.5L
Exterior- 8000k HIDS lows, 8000k HIDs fog lights, 20% window tint, Tinted taillights, painted grilles (top and bottom) to match, Custom painted engine cover and battery box, Red painted calipers.
Performance- Crab Intake, Racing Line Performance strut tower brace, GT-R Custom Magnaflow exhaust.
Interior- red LED's on inside, custom painted interior trim to match outside, Memphis sub and Amp, Custom fiberglass sub enclosure.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Are you 100% sure of that? Cause stores here which use to carry them, have taken them off there shelves!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Michigan G6er

As far as I know. I mean if you get pulled over and the cop wants to be a dick then he might say something about it. But I was told that as long as you can see red when the lights are on and when the brakes are being applied then its fine.

Pontac G6 Sedan 3.5L
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:05 PM
2006 Black G6 GT

Depends where you live. Some states require a distance of so many feet away that you have to be able to see the red.

Mine are pretty dark, and i've never had a problem.

And if you want it shiny, just use a lot of clearcoat on top of the vht..

2006 G6 GT
Mods so far: Black arrow overlays, Chrome recessed grilles, Blue LED license plate light, Blue LED reverse lights, Smoked tails, 20% Tint all around, Red led's for the interior, White led dome and map lights.
Sound System: 4 Infinity Kappa component speakers, 2 Amps (950w total) and 2 10" Kenwood KFC subwoofers, 7" touch screen Pioneer DVD

Performance: Mobile 1 oil, Mobile 1 oil filter
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y84pauloflondon View Post
Not that everyone cares but, I was told that smoked out tail lights were illegal in some states? So be careful!!! And I was told that its illegal here at home too.....Ontario, Canada!?........Legally, I could be wrong!

BTW, they do look great!
i dont see how it can be illegal, some cars come stock with smoked tail lights, either the mazda 3 or 6 seems to ring a bell for coming stock with tinted tails.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM

Well yes that is true! Some cars do come stock with smoked lights like Mazda's and some 3rd gen Firebird's, such as my 87 GTA! But keep in mind that cops do hate us "Tuners", and could, and will pick on some of us.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 PM

Plus, keep in mind that when these stock smoked tail lights are made, the plastic itself is smoked just enough to pass any laws and standards required. We, who are spraying VHT onto our tail lights are adding a coat of transparent paint onto the lights, which is modifing stock equipment/part. Which is where the law can be a pain in the ass for some of us.

My STOCK GTA tail lights look blacked out during the day, until I step onto the brake pedel. At night the red lights shine through clearly and are visable from a great distance without even steping on the brakes. This is where the plastic technology comes in! It allows light to shine/glow out, and yet blocks out the sun light.(Just my theory/opinion!)

Now, I've seen the VHT sprayed tail lights, and they ARE dark/blacked out day or night, and if too thick(coats), will not allow enough light to shine/glow out to be seen regardless of distance!

So how much light is needed to be seen????????? Ah! thats the problem! Based on opinion of a Cop!

Last edited by y84pauloflondon; 12-06-2009 at 12:24 AM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 AM

So, basically its up to the person who is doing the spraying, not to OVER do it! Don't be dumb or cool, and not be silly with the amount of coats used on the lights!

Grab something that is clear plastic and practise on it before spraying your tail lights. This way if you mess up and get it wrong(too thick, uneven, fish eyes, runs), it wont cost your lights.....just a thought!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensur3 View Post
Depends where you live. Some states require a distance of so many feet away that you have to be able to see the red.

Mine are pretty dark, and i've never had a problem.

And if you want it shiny, just use a lot of clearcoat on top of the vht..
I never used clear coat and mine look shiny..
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 PM

a lifelong friends family owns a customizing/performance shop and i work there on the weekends and here is how i was tought to smoke tail lights. get some saran (sp) wrap and wrap it around your taillights. then practice spraying on the light with the wrap on there that way if you mess up and go too dark you know when to stop when it comes time to spray the light itself. and ive never used clear coat and they always come out shiney... i might test out the clear coat and see if it looks better. here is a pic of mine.

oh and if by the odd chance any of you guys live in texas, the state law here is the lights have to be visible from 100ft otherwise theyre illegal. but if you smoke your lights, just get some leds from your local autozone and that should fix the problem and leave no doubt for those cops that like to give us a hard time. ive never had any problems with mine, or the car before this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g6 blacked out lights (nothing).jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1167  

Last edited by dustin_ford08; 03-17-2010 at 08:55 PM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM

did yall use normal window tint when you did this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in