Tinted tails - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Talking Tinted tails

So i have a black coupe 6er and i wanted to know how do you tint the tail lights? is there like a precut film you put over it or a paint or something?? anyways i don't like the look of completely blacked out. because i don't like the look of too much black on a car. but anyways is there a way to tint it so its blacker, but still show some of the red of the tail light? feedback appreciated, thanks.

-Ry

2007 G6 GT Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
LCPL Cobb

Go to Auto Zone and by a can of Lens Tint spray paint. Apply it in very light coats until you get the darkness you want. [[I say "very light" because it comes out of the can pretty quick, so you'll have to be careful]] And its easier to do with the tail lights off the car.

Oorah!

2007 G6 GT Sedan
Looks: Painted engine cover, Streetglow Xenon Strobe kit in headlights(red), blacked out tail lights, custom "G6OWNERSCLUB.COM" Logo in third brake light.

Handling: Sumitomo HTR ZII 235/45/ZR17 tires, ATE Performance Slotted Brake Rotors (front only), HAWK HPS High Performance Brake Pads (all around)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc88_usmc View Post
Go to Auto Zone and by a can of Lens Tint spray paint. Apply it in very light coats until you get the darkness you want. [[I say "very light" because it comes out of the can pretty quick, so you'll have to be careful]] And its easier to do with the tail lights off the car.
Have you used it before?? is it easy to use and doesn't look streaky where you spray it?

2007 G6 GT Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 PM
RAM AIR!!

Send a message via AIM to coupe_gtp
It is a little more involved than that though. I got mine done by Unique Coatings , they use a special liquid tinting process. The product that you want to buy is called VHT Nite Shades.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body...eparation.html
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Michigan G6er

I did mine with VHT nightshades. prolly the same stuff jc88 USMC is talking about. Its really easy, just pull out your taillights and tape off the reverse light area (otherwise backing up will be a pain) then prep the area just wipe it clean. then spray away VERY LIGHT COATS, and take your time. let the coats dry before doing another coat.
Here is a picture of mine. Its four light coats and three coats of clear.

Pontac G6 Sedan 3.5L
Exterior- 8000k HIDS lows, 8000k HIDs fog lights, 20% window tint, Tinted taillights, painted grilles (top and bottom) to match, Custom painted engine cover and battery box, Red painted calipers.
Performance- Crab Intake, Racing Line Performance strut tower brace, GT-R Custom Magnaflow exhaust.
Interior- red LED's on inside, custom painted interior trim to match outside, Memphis sub and Amp, Custom fiberglass sub enclosure.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
RAM AIR!!

Send a message via AIM to coupe_gtp

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Looks good! Like mine used to LOL

Night shades gets lighter over time. I redid mine so many times because of how they change. I eventually got impatient and messed them up. (i dont like the smell of paint thinner)

I would start light and add coats over time if your not sure.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 PM

I was reading up on how to do the tail lights, and perhaps its years of doing things the 'wrong way first' and being taught a lesson, haha, but I was wondering someone had mentioned the only prep was to clean the lens and tape off the reverse portion. Would a nice light sanding with 1000 grade or better paper help or would that be overkill for this?
Thank you in advance,
David
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM

Mine look all like everybody elses and I used the same thing VHT nite shades. Simple and easy.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 PM

I used a light sand when i did mine but the clear coat is important it will give it a nice shine if there is no clear it will look like matte finished.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM
LCPL Cobb

Actually the stuff I bought is Rustoleum Lens Tint. It has the same effect, and as far as I can tell, the same quality as the Nite Shades, but it's only $12.99 a can instead of $20. I sanded mine down with 500 grit sandpaper before doing the ones on my G6, but didn't bother when I did my 06 Sentra, and both turned out fine. I did do it a little too dark on the G6 though, and seems I'm going to be doing a bit of sanding this weekend to redo it, but oh well. Gives me something to do. All I can say is try the product you think will be best or get it done professionally.

Oorah!

2007 G6 GT Sedan
Looks: Painted engine cover, Streetglow Xenon Strobe kit in headlights(red), blacked out tail lights, custom "G6OWNERSCLUB.COM" Logo in third brake light.

Handling: Sumitomo HTR ZII 235/45/ZR17 tires, ATE Performance Slotted Brake Rotors (front only), HAWK HPS High Performance Brake Pads (all around)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in