Painting chrome on grill - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Painting chrome on grill

I have seen a few cars on the forums who have painted the chrome around top front grill - first off I think it looks real sharp and would love to make this change to my vehicle as well (I like chrome, but on other peoples cars haha)
What all is involved? Where did you get the factory paint (all I can find are the small touch up bottles)? Did you have to sand blast/sand the chrome for the paint to stick?
I know I ask a lot of questions so thank you for any/all help.
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 PM

I used a a very light wet sand not to remove the chrome but rough it up enough to let the primer grip.
So 1500 grit automotive sand paper around $3
Then automotive primer
And i actually found auto spray paint that matched my car very close.
There are color codes for each car if you want to get exact and order of line for around 15 bucks plus shipping.
Also some Good clear coat.

Ill look in my garage in a min and get the names of primer and clear that has worked very well.

But basically its
  1. Light Wet sand ( if you sand to much the finished product will look like layered instead of smooth)
  2. two coats of primer
  3. 2-3 coats of paint (depends on color)
  4. two coats of clear

You want to allow say 15-30 min between coats depending on how much of a hurry your in.

But i hand wash my car and its as strong as the factory paint no chipping, fading or bubbling.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the quick response! I will def check into everything you said, as well as looking for the name brands (if they even matter). I was worried about the sanding part, had a friend who did exactly like you said, too much and it looked layered, not what I'm going for. I'd rather find the exact color (midnight blue metallic just doesnt cut it haha) and as far as the time involved - same as the specific coloring, if I'm going to do this I want to do it right so if it takes half a day to a day, who cares. I'm trying to get everything lined up so I can purchase all the paint and do everything at once. Again, thanks for the info maybe I'll be able to do half as good of a job as you did!
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 PM

I like working on projects especially in the summer open up the garage and spend all day in there. Im lucky enough to have a small tv in there to help pass the time between coats.

but painting the interior trim is basically the same setup as this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

haha - you beat me to my next post! I saw someone who had the red painted on the interior, and I thought it looked really good. I assume they just took all the gray pieces and painted them to the color of their choice - much difficulty in taking them off? I see no issues with the center console coming up easy, but worried about the doors w/ switches involved - last thing I need to do is break a plastic pin haha.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:23 AM

All the doors are easy the driver door has a couple star shaped bolts in there under this rubber trim that comes out its not attached in any way. then ones those are out it pops up
Then take your time with the buttons like you said. Thats the only hard one the others pop out easy there pressure clipped in those go out towards you if your sitting in the seat.
I can get mine out with a large flat head with some duct tape on them. so it wont scratch.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 PM

So here is the stuff i used to paint pretty cheap at Meijer Probabbly walmart has it all to.

You can use a prying tool to work of the top corner then slowly work down
(i actually just pulled with my hands and got this off LOL)

Yeah my car is pretty dirty at the moment.

HAVE FUN
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I gotta say, you have been a life saver already and I haven't even dug into my car yet! haha. I might end up doing similar to what you did, but off setting the inside black/white/chrome (maybe, maybe) but either way it looks awesome for sure!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Kash

Send a message via AIM to nckash055
how do u get the front grills out and off and how do u get the plastic around the shifter off
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
front grilles you stick a scew driver in between the body and chrome outer. its got tabs that need to pop out. be carefull not to put scratches or gouges in your body... use a rag in between small flat head screwdriver and body.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Can anyone tell me how to take out the part where the shift knob goes?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgrez33 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to take out the part where the shift knob goes?
look here: https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6476

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
G6 mafia

Send a message via MSN to carlosjimenez21
please everybody dont use that cheap clear from the can it tends to run fade crack scratch chip very easily just take whatever parts you have into a body shop that will clear coat the parts for you shouldnt cost no more than like 20$ to do little jobs like that..when i took in my taillights to get clearcoated after tinting them guy only charged me 10$ and he buffed and waxed the taillights for the hell of it cuz he loved how they looked
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 AM

Not going to say taking in the stuff to a shop isnt a good i dea. Heck if you do that i would pay them to do the whole thing. But ive had this stuff done for a years and looks like the day i did it. Not rushing through the steps and proper prep is very important.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM

since you guys were talking about the front grill. i have a question. my front top right mesh grill looks like it is half off. i dont know if it has clips on the side or something. but maybe one of you guys know how to put it back on. it is hooked on one side just indented on the other side. your answers will help a lot considering my parents will yell at me when they see it. thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in