Fogs - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Fogs

Hey guys havent been on here is a while. Just had had an idea to do to the G6 but wasn't sure how to do it so I figured I'd ask. How can I rig the fog lights to turn on when the head lights turn on? Will I need to set up a relay? Where are the wires for these located and what wires (color) do I need. Thanks alot I don't know much about these things I'm use to my old YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Michigan G6er

I am no electrician but the easiest way i think would be pull out your headlight assemble and tie into those wires. So just go from fog light wires to head light wires. So you turn on headlights the fogs turn on too.

Pontac G6 Sedan 3.5L
Exterior- 8000k HIDS lows, 8000k HIDs fog lights, 20% window tint, Tinted taillights, painted grilles (top and bottom) to match, Custom painted engine cover and battery box, Red painted calipers.
Performance- Crab Intake, Racing Line Performance strut tower brace, GT-R Custom Magnaflow exhaust.
Interior- red LED's on inside, custom painted interior trim to match outside, Memphis sub and Amp, Custom fiberglass sub enclosure.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok I wasn't sure if that was too much on the head light wires. I don't want a loss of power in them. Also if its not bright enough out but the headlights come on if I push the fog light button the headlights go out so something must be connected somewhere for that to happen. Will that cause a problem? Or should I disconnect the fogs from their current sorce of power and put in a. Relay thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 PM

I installed fogs on a buddy car just powering them from the battery and inline fuse. with a rocker switch. Works good. If the headlight splicing isnt working.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM

i have a similar question, anyone know how to be able to turn the foglights on while the brights are on?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_ford08 View Post
i have a similar question, anyone know how to be able to turn the foglights on while the brights are on?
Yeah me to. I dont want to burn out my hids when i go to brights.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 PM

well reading around the web, I found that its possible to do. (factory fogs)
Splice into the headlight. Adjust some fuses in the engine bay.
But this will leave the problem of what if you want them off. I still would like to be able to use the switch.

I know from the factory its setup so that only 4 lights are on at anyone time.
Fogs+lows or Highs+lows.

Ive read that its illegal. to have more than 4 still i want this option.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
well reading around the web, I found that its possible to do. (factory fogs)
Splice into the headlight. Adjust some fuses in the engine bay.
But this will leave the problem of what if you want them off. I still would like to be able to use the switch.

I know from the factory its setup so that only 4 lights are on at anyone time.
Fogs+lows or Highs+lows.

Ive read that its illegal. to have more than 4 still i want this option.
i dont know how that can be illeagle, i have a buddy with an 09 jeep grand cherokee and stock he can have the fogs on with the brights.

all that is needed to do this 2 a six is add one relay and a few diodes. ill draw up a diagram of how to do it in a bit.

i have already done this to my 6 lol.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:46 PM

if you could do that it would be much appreciated i was looking for awhile at my fuse box in the engine bay and have no clue.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 AM

So ive spent a long time trying to figure this out still LOL
Ive read lots of "how to" threads in other car forums but still it not the same setup as are car. And i really would like to use the stock switch. Not a rocker.
So if anyone has any ideas it would be awesome!
I don't need basics like how to wire a switch type stuff.
Ill eventually figure it out. But am a little stuck hahaha
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 AM

Daniel, I agree with ya. I would much rather be able to use the stock switch than install a new one. but it looks like thats what im gonna do. hopefully someone out there knows how to get this done...
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 AM

I know TGrill was able to set it up so his brights and fogs would be on, I think he used the pedal adjuster, don't quote me but if you can get a hold of him I'm sure he will help you with it
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM
newcomer

i wouldn't change anything on the g6 electrical system.. I know there would be some stupid effects after.. probably engine check light turns on.. or your remote starter (if you had one) stop working.. I know because I changed my interior lights to LED and because they have different watt supply, my engine check light came off (had to go to GM to get it reset).. well..

08 G6 GXP Coupe -SOLD- for an M3 but the new girl still can't replace her

10,000K HID Low Beam, 10,000K HID fog kit, Eibach pro lowering kit (with 1 coil cut at the front), white LED interior lights (map and dome), custom front side license plate mount, custom DynoMax Exhaust w/ custom resonator & 2.5" piping (used to be w/ Magnaflow), K&N Air Filter, HP Tuners VCM tuned, 20x8.5 Gianna Blitz rims w/ Nitto tires, Garmin Nav-Tech, tinted windows, white LED rear license plate light, aluminum brushed custom pontiac badges, redded out tail lights, custom aluminum color painted brake pads..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3801235 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYV0sfpXfts
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 PM

i wired mine up to a different switch. they work fine, i havent had any trouble with a cel or anything.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Live Free or Die

Here is a link to a wiring diagram for the headlights on the 2005 G6. Not sure if it much help, but at least you'll know what you are looking at when it comes to the electrical!

http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/wiring/va201392.pdf

I have thought of wanting to do this as well, but sometimes I think that having highs and lows on at the same time is plenty bright enough, especially with my HID lows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in