To Tint, or not to Tint - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

To Tint, or not to Tint

That is the Question.

With the bright Arkansas sun as of late, I have been thinking pretty hard on this one, weighing the pros with the cons.

Pros:
Less heat in the car (Not sure if that is accurate)
Save my sensitive eyes and not have to bother with sunglasses
Looks cooler, for sure!
Cheap mod

Cons:
Possibly increase the chance of a cop pulling you over (Guessing)
Pealing in the future?
Target of thievery? (Thief can't see in, may make it more tempting to break in?)

Ya, most of my pros and cons are just assumptions, hence the post. What do you guys think? How dark did you go, was it worth it, would you rather have gone lighter, etc? Also, did you get a strip on the windshield? If so, do you like it? (this one I am 50/50 on, sometimes they look okay, other times they look like poo)

Spill it kiddos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:36 PM

I have 35% all the way around, except the windshield. Somedays I wish I would have gone darker, but I opted not to because my front two windows already exceed the Wisconsin tint laws & I'm not interested in being pulled over & fined for something so rediculously small. Go to a tint shop that offers a lifetime warrenty (most shops do) which will usually garuntee it wont peel, bubble, or fade - that way if for some reason something does happen you will be able to get it corrected free of charge. Also, try going to a shop that has a good clientle & reputation.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

I say do it. You can do 25% on front and rear side windows and 10% on the back window, that's your legal limit. I think you should be fine if you do 25% all around. Don't get the cheap stuff, and go to a decent shop and you should be fine.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh! This forum is so active, it's awesome!

Good deal then, tint it is!

Thanks for finding the legal limits for me! Nice location btw, Mr. President.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 PM

In my personal experience, tinting isn't worth it.

I've tinted the following vehicles

2001 Saturn L series, 2004 Grand Am, 2007 Chevy Impala
No problems with the Saturn tint - the car was another story.

Got a ticket in the Grand Am from the NYSP. $55 fine later and giving a d**k his fill of a power trip for 15 minutes. Don't get me started on the NYSP...LOL.

The tint on the Impala kept scratching. The wonderful Shop that does Tint here in Rochester, didn't seem too interested in standing behind their work or the cheap soft film they used (neither of my other tint jobs scratched like that). I was told dismissively "oh yeah, that happens sometimes" So after the one free re-tint it scratched again. Took it off and left it off after that.

Drawing the attention of law enforcement, the risk of a ticket, not being able to put parking stickers in the back windows, bubbling, scratching, dealing with poor materials and customer service.

Not worth it to me anymore.

My G6 will remain untinted.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 PM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

i have my back half done at 5%, and the eyebrow tint on the top of the windshield done at 5%. i got it done at a nice shop and paid about 180 for it all, very worth it. Keeps it dark and cool not to mention it pretty much eliminates the sun glare on my touch screen head unit. Tint it definitely worth it if you get it done in the right place.

Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, 5% Eyebrow tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Interior LEDs, Painted engine covers, Tinted tails, 6K Low Beam HID, 8K High Beam HID, Painted Grilles, Painted Door Trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, Racingline STB, Racingline Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
yeah i definitly think its worth it..ive got 5% all the way around. alot better then feeling like your driving in a glass fish bowl.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
09 GXP

I have 30% in my front two windows and 20% in the back, Llumar film. Definetley worth it to me if you get a lifetime warranty film and go to a good shop. I have been pulled over and warned because my front windows are illegal but i dont think i will be pulled over again. (hopefully not LOL) Tint makes your car look alot better and does keep the heat out. My only complaint is the windows get soooo dirty from daily driving. But if you clean em up once a week, it keeps the car looking fresh. I say get the tint for sure!!

2009 G6 GXP...
Mods: CRABs CAB, Llumar film- 30% tint front windows, 20% tint around the back, Jensen Vm9214 7 inch touch screen, 2-12 inch Kenwood KFC subs with a MTX jackhammer JH600 amp, Tinted tails Yellow Painted Calipers
Coming Soon: GT-R exhaust, HID Lights, Interior LEDs
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
G6 mafia

Send a message via MSN to carlosjimenez21
hell yeah get windows tinted all the way...fugg the popo
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Silver-Coupe
I have mine done @ 20% . The tint shop did it,looks great . F the police.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM

lovin' the attitude.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Professional geek

I have 70% windows from the factory. I added 50% front tint (illegal) and 35% rear (you can paint your rear and back windows black in Cali if you want). The shop I went to uses Llumar film, and I went with the expensive stuff. Lifetime warranty on the film, and it's not just through the shop but the entire nationwide network of Llumar installers. This shop will also remove and retint the front windows if I get pulled over. Not very likely; I was just in the desert with 20,000 cops (seriously, I was) and not one said a word.

With the car being black and living in a sunny clime, there was no way I wouldn't get tint. The difference in temperature is noticeable.

So the moral is, don't go to a cheap shop and get the cheapest tint. Find someone reputable that uses quality materials.

~ MattInSoCal
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:52 AM
G6ToPLeTBaCK~

hello all,
i am looking to get tint on my windows and my rear and was wondering how much it would cost. im looking for a good quality type that wont bubble/peel/fade w.e or atleast a company that can life time warranty it. also im not familiar with the %, i briefly looked up some and am thinking 20% . i live in ontario, canada so im not sure wat the laws are exactly.
thanks

05' G6 GT Silver - fully loaded; panoramic sunroof, leather interior, heated seats, spoiler, and alloy rims
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ToPLeTBaCK~ View Post
hello all,
i am looking to get tint on my windows and my rear and was wondering how much it would cost. im looking for a good quality type that wont bubble/peel/fade w.e or atleast a company that can life time warranty it. also im not familiar with the %, i briefly looked up some and am thinking 20% . i live in ontario, canada so im not sure wat the laws are exactly.
thanks
tint law for Ontario:

Ontario Ė For the driverís compartment, right and left,
no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driverís compartment, any film can be installed.

That's nice and vague for the driver's windows. Go with what you're comfortable. The expensive stuff from Llumar was approximately $350 with lifetime warranty down to $150 for the cheapo stuff. Remember that's US dollar's not Canadian dollars. With your tax system is may be way more expensive.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Coupe View Post
F the police.
So when you get pulled over by a trooper...
I dare you to say that to his or her face.

This is the look you'll get from the Trooper --->
This is the look on your face when your car is impounded, tint removed and you behind bars --->

It's only a matter of time buddy...you're out late after a night of partying, or up early going to work. Mr Trooper has a bit of free time, a light meter, and has to make his monthly quota - you make it all too easy!

Everyone always thinks it'll never happen to them.....

Last edited by RocDood14618; 05-04-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in