Wiring colors?? Help! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Wiring colors?? Help!

Hi, I have added LEDs to all of my doors and I wanted to tap into the power window switch's positive and negative wires, but seeing there a four wires and all untraditional colors I was not sure what to do, could anyone tell me the answer? Thank you much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

So I realize now that due to the body control unit I probably want to avoid stealing power there. Anybody run wires through the door to the frame yet? Just wondering how difficult it will be to get the wire through the rubber door hose and accessing it next to the seat.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 PM

If you are talking about the huge rubber seal on the body, and running a wire from outside to inside then, Yes I can help a lil. To pop off that rubber seal from the frame squeeze the top and bottom together to release the clip and it should puul right off. Now you will only get about 3 inches of play which is enough to run a wire through. I used it to run my underglow LED kit wires, and worked perfect with no leaks. Hope this helps.

---------------------------------
2009 Pontiac G6
MODS- high/low beam and fogs 6000k HIDs, Audi style LEDs below headlights, black projector head lights, blacked out taillights, 20% tint front and 5% on the rest, black 20'' wheels, debaged,touchscreen navigation, interior/ exterior LED underglow, ALL lightbulbs are replaced with LEDs, 3000w Caidence stereo system with 1000w on highs and 2000w on 2 10'' subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I am talking about the rubber hose that runs from the door to the frame, in which the window control wires are ran.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdarkstorm View Post
So I realize now that due to the body control unit I probably want to avoid stealing power there. Anybody run wires through the door to the frame yet? Just wondering how difficult it will be to get the wire through the rubber door hose and accessing it next to the seat.
I'm running my A/C vent LEDs off the BCM dimming output, and at the moment there are 84 of them, so it wouldn't be a problem if you added a couple.

The illumination is on terminals A and B of the power window switches. The A terminal is ground and the B terminal is connected to the dimming control circuit.

Click here for the power window switch illumination schematic (PDF).

~ MattInSoCal
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks matt, are the terminals labeled? When I looked at it I just saw four colored wires but I just glanced
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Correction. Five wires. Purple, brown, greenish, two blue that I can't tell if they're different or the same? I see the a terminal with a blue wire but b is not being used apparently

Last edited by djdarkstorm; 06-30-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Adding something??
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I remembered I paid for a subscription to that eautorepair website over a year ago, and I went looking for a wiring diagram. Now, I have the diagram, and no idea how to read it, if anyone could elaborate?

I circled the area in question.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Ok, so I remembered I paid for a subscription to that eautorepair website over a year ago, and I went looking for a wiring diagram. Now, I have the diagram, and no idea how to read it, if anyone could elaborate?
I circled the area in question.
And so I assume I don't need to answer the PM...

OK, so the bad news on the sedans is that GM did not provide the lighting wire for the rear doors. For the front passenger door, the lighting wires are on terminals B and C in you diagram (The loopy thing in the rectangle to the left of your circle is the light bulb filament), which are the Gray (GRY) and Black (BLK) wires.

If you don't mind your LEDs being on whenever the ACCessory supply is active, meaning they would be on day or night, you can do this without adding any extra wires. Connect the positive lead of your LEDs to the Dark Blue (DK BLU) wire on terminal A according to your diagram, and the negative terminal to either the Dark Blue wire on terminal G or the Brown (BRN) wire on terminal F. By the way, with this scheme the LEDs would be off if you lock out the window controls from the driver's control panel, and in one direction of travel while the window is moving. This is because you are "stealing" the missing ground connection through the window motor, and when the window is not moving both terminals are connected (by the switches) to ground.

~ MattInSoCal
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thank you. Aren't one of those wires connected to the dimmer switch somehow?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Professional geek

Quote:
Ok, thank you. Aren't one of those wires connected to the dimmer switch somehow?
For the rear seat, no they are not. Ignore what the diagram seems to be telling you. I wish they were as I would like to light up those switches (and I just may some day).

~ MattInSoCal
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Ok. So I can add the negative to terminal g or f and it makes no difference? And then I suppose the window lock rocker switch would be my control switch in a sense? Thanks for the help by the way I have been tryin to figure this out for a little while now, lol.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Professional geek

Quote:
Ok. So I can add the negative to terminal g or f and it makes no difference?
Yes. If you follow the wires through the diagram, you would see that in their resting position that the window switches connect both sides of the motor to ground, so it doesn't matter which wire you connect to.

Quote:
And then I suppose the window lock rocker switch would be my control switch in a sense?
Yes.

Quote:
Thanks for the help by the way I have been tryin to figure this out for a little while now, lol.
No problem, the solution didn't even occur to me until I was looking closer at the diagram last night.

~ MattInSoCal
Earning my title
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Well now I've hit another wall, lol. They worked fine with a 9v test run, and they worked fine installed to the 12v for about twenty mins then nothin. Two of my LEDs no longer work even when connected to a battery alone. I had a 360 ohm resistor in a circuit with three 1.7 watt 3000 mcd 20a LEDs. Any ideas?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Well now I've hit another wall, lol. They worked fine with a 9v test run, and they worked fine installed to the 12v for about twenty mins then nothin. Two of my LEDs no longer work even when connected to a battery alone. I had a 360 ohm resistor in a circuit with three 1.7 watt 3000 mcd 20a LEDs. Any ideas?
Yeah, hope you enjoyed that light while it lasted, and I hope you like your LEDs cooked to well done.

Sorry everyone, it's time for a little math, if that offends you move along to another post.

Something seems a little off in your specs for the LEDs. I'm thinking that perhaps they are 1.7 Volt, 20 ma (milliamps, thousandths of an Amp). Those are probably pretty accurate values for a 3000 mcd LED since 1.7 Watts would be a really bright LED and 20 Amps is an awful lot of current. We will continue this discussion based on my assumptions.

To calculate the correct value for a resistor, you need to know several things. One is how much voltage you are expecting to drop with the resistor, since the LED needs to run at a much lower voltage. The next is how much current is expected to be available/limited. The third which will be used later is to calculate how much power the resistor has to handle (dissipate).

To find a resistance value, we use Ohm's Law, which tells us that:
Resistance = Voltage / Current
When performing the Voltage part of the calculation, always start with the maximum voltage that will be supplied (we will ignore short voltage spikes in this instance). So, in the G6 the maximum voltage is 14.6 Volts with the engine running and the voltage regulator in the alternator supplying maximum voltage (there was a note about this in the owner's manual). So, on to the math.

The voltage that needs to be dropped will be the maximum voltage (14.6) minus the operational voltage that the LED needs. According to the assumption made earlier, that works out as 14.6 - 1.7 = 12.9 Volts. You didn't mention if you are using one resistor per LED but since you are putting them in each door I will assume that is true. If you were running multiple LEDs with one resistor the math changes, and the wiring could get messy.

OK, we have a voltage drop of 12.9 Volts, and a current of 20 ma or 0.020 Amps. Using Ohm's law we get:
Resistance = Voltage / Current
Resistance = 12.9 / 0.020
Resistance = 645 ohms
Reversing the math, we learn that you fed as much as 36 ma or about 75% more than the rated current to your LEDs using the 390 Ohm resistor, which would have resulted in a nice, bright light for up to a couple of minutes with the LEDs eventually fading out. With the 9 Volt battery you were running them at about 25 ma which would look pretty normal at first but over the period of several weeks to several years the LEDs would get darker as they decayed. Of course the battery would go dead first... but I digress.

Ok, just a little tidying up to do. 645 Ohms is not a common value for resistors, but 680 Ohms is. That will give you about 19 ma of current maximum, which is nice and safe and still gives you bright light. When choosing a resistor value for something like this you always want to go to a higher resistance value to keep the current in the safe zone. Next is the power rating for the resistor.
Power = Voltage * Current
Power = 12.9 (drop across the resistor) * 0.020
Power = 0.258 Watts
You need to use a 1/2 Watt-rated resistor (commonly available) as the 1/4 Watt (0.250 Watt) resistors you might be supplied can't be relied on to not overheat and go bad over time. Also when installing the resistor keep it away from anything that can melt like plastic sheeting or door components. 1/2 Watt is not a lot of heat but over time it can cause some damage.

Class dismissed.

~ MattInSoCal

Last edited by MattInSoCal; 07-05-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in