HID high-low-fog configuration - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

HID high-low-fog configuration

I was reading in the HID Lights thread about the process of installing HID's on a G6. I understand that to have a full HID configuration (high-low-fog) you will need 3 separate kits. What i dont understand is why they said get the same bulb, H11, for all 3. When in fact lows are H11, highs are H9 and fogs are 9040. So can someone clarify on what size bulb I would need. And the conversion kit i plan on getting is from NOTTO, http://www.carid.com/2008-pontiac-g6...kit-77434.html, does anyone know if its a good kit to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 AM

I agree with you - I've been looking into HID's myself and it seems like the lows, highs and fogs would all have the same brightness of your high beams. I was thinking about having different sizes for each but have no idea what direction to go - let me know what you find out! Thanks!

David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 AM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

heres the thing, yes the bulbs will all be the same brightness, but they will put out totally different brightnesses. The output is changed by the configuration of the lamp itself, look at your low beam lamp, it has that cap on it and the sides come out a bit further. the high beams dont have either of that, making the output much brighter.

I have 6K in my lows and 8K in my highs, i got both kits from ddmtuning.com and they work great. Most people on this site would recommend ddm as they are much cheaper and work great. as far as the bulb type, its h11 for lows, h9 for highs, and 9040 for the fogs.

Hope that helps and if i confused you let me know and ill try to explain it better.

Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, 5% Eyebrow tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Interior LEDs, Painted engine covers, Tinted tails, 6K Low Beam HID, 8K High Beam HID, Painted Grilles, Painted Door Trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, Racingline STB, Racingline Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM

you actually cleared it up perfectly, from the show me state so I had to run out to the car and check it, yulp, your 100% correct. Thanks again!

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdevine7 View Post
heres the thing, yes the bulbs will all be the same brightness, but they will put out totally different brightnesses. The output is changed by the configuration of the lamp itself, look at your low beam lamp, it has that cap on it and the sides come out a bit further. the high beams dont have either of that, making the output much brighter.

I have 6K in my lows and 8K in my highs, i got both kits from ddmtuning.com and they work great. Most people on this site would recommend ddm as they are much cheaper and work great. as far as the bulb type, its h11 for lows, h9 for highs, and 9040 for the fogs.

Hope that helps and if i confused you let me know and ill try to explain it better.
So your saying even though my bulbs are various sizes I would need to get H11 for the high and the fogs also
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 AM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

you probably read that somewhere and im guessing that they meant that you want to go with the same bulb as in all 6K or all 8K. if you were to do all 3 you would need h11, h9, and 9040. the same temperature/color is just so they all look the same, i like how my high beams have a slight blue when my lows are crystal white. it doesnt really matter if you get all the same or all different colors, but the bulbs have to be different, a h11 wont fit in the highs or fogs, just in the low. like mine, h11 6K for low and h9 8K for highs.

Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, 5% Eyebrow tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Interior LEDs, Painted engine covers, Tinted tails, 6K Low Beam HID, 8K High Beam HID, Painted Grilles, Painted Door Trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, Racingline STB, Racingline Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

Thats what I thought. But reading that thread completely through me off. Where could I find an HID kit for the fog lights
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

thats the hard part, most people say ebay. i personally dont trust ebay and havent found any kits anywhere else. you can buy them off ebay if youd like, i think im going to callmy car shop tomorrow and ask if they know anyplace that has a good kit.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

Im planning on buying the ait body kit and with the new front bumper the factory fog lights wouldnt be able to fit and i would have to buy a they led headlights they offer
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

right, i would do the highs and lows and wait until after you got the AIT kit and then do the fogs

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM

i have the AIT body kit on my G6. if your plan on getting the fog lights they recommend which are nice and powerfull, make sure the person installing them know what they are doing. if not down properly you car will blow fusses your electrical will get all messed up. when i had mine put in. the fog lights blew the fuss. when i would turn on my fog lights. the washer fluid and windshield wipers would come on. when i tried turning on my wipers. nothing would happen.

hope this helps.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:27 PM

oh damn that sounds like more than just a fuse issue, that sounds like a crosswire or a ground issue - i'd def get that checked out if you have not already. I will be ordering the high and lows in the next few days, as with others i'm a bit sketchy about ebay.
thanks for all the great info!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:07 PM

already fixed. i took it back to the guy that installed them. he didn't realize there are mulitple fuss boxes in the car so he added a power converter to take care of the problem.
i had to buy another pair of fog lights. cause when they burnt out, inside the fog lights are hazy and plus there is moisture built up inside them. hopefully i will have better luck with the new set.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
DDM Tunings has different wattages for the HID Kits too. I have a 35w 6k HID kit in my low beams and would like to throw a 55w 6k HID kit in my high beams. I would like to note that this would probably burn a retina out if stared at though. Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in