HID Installation help!!! (desperate!) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

HID Installation help!!! (desperate!)

Hey everyone! I have a 2007 ISV G6 and i really want to put 6k HID lights in my car only thing....i dont know that much about car electrical systems. I can have them installed around here... 55w kit installed for $250+ but thats alot considering i can find kits online from $100-150.

Does anyone have a guide written? Youtube video?

Also with the G6 having auto lights...i love that feature would i have to get rid of my auto lights? or day time running lights?

Theres also an issue about the stock headlight housing, a friend of mine works at a GM shop and said they would burn the stock housing especially the little plastic "reflector" just infront of the bulb has anyone had any issues with that?

Thanks everyone! hopefully we can get this stickied!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:37 AM

I havent heard of anyone having issues with the reflector burning in the headlights. You could use a lower wattage 35w so that wouldnt be a problem.

If you dont want your DTRL you could just pull the fuse in the engine compartment I dont remember the fuse number off the top of my head but that would stop them coming on. If you are in canada im not sure if it would give you a light or code but never know till you try.

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
You paid $250 bucks to get HID's installed? Wow, thats one of the biggest ripoff's I've ever seen. I paid $50 bucks (now $35) for a pair of 35w 6000k HID's that work to this day.

They have no burned or melted any of the headlight assembly. The lens does get warm, but never a scary temperature.

As for DTRL, just pull the correct fuse. I love my DTRL though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I didn't buy them yet because I know there a rip off I just don't know how to install them my self lol anyone have a guide? Or is it fairly idiot proof?

Yea I love my DTRL and my auto lights and I don't want to lose them!!!

Pitting hids in won't effect when let's say you go into a tunnel and your dashboard lights and headlights turn on will it? I Wasn't sure if they were the same fuse or if they were disabled after hid installation
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

They work just like the stock halogen. Get them from DDM Tuning. It's pretty simple installation. Just drill a hole in the dust cover for the wires and mount the ballast with zip ties or your choice.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Wow DDM Tuning HID kits are cheap!!! is there a catch? How good was the quality/color? I wanted 6k to keep it looking semi legal lol
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

I love my HID's. I have not had any issues and can only talk good about them. They are perfectly legal since they are a white color with a tint of blue. Think of the icy blue.

There is no catch... seriously. Most HID kits are only 35-50 bucks. You were just taken advantage of.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Alright sweet im gonna order them tonight I can't wait to get them in btw just to clarify you guy left your DTRL in correct? I emailed a one of the sites that sold hids for the g6 and they said I'd have to disable them saying they would just flicker and die off. That was a different kit the the ddm kit so I'm assuming you can keep your DTRL with the ddm kit? I love my DTRL lol

Sorry about all the questions just a newb when it comes to this lol
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

My DTRL lights work perfectly fine with the DDM Tuning HID kit.

Don't worry about being a newbie. We all are here to search information and learn.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 AM

Garage
abyssul...what exactly did you get from the site because it has options for other stuff like a dual in and out harness and an extra adaptor cable. if you could just let me know what exactly you got and what you had to do to install them - steps, time, etc. thanks a lot man

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 AM

I'm trying to install some to but i'm confused on what exactly you have to drill for the dust cover

G6 3.5L: White
Mods: Tint 3% back, 35% front, 2 Alpine Type R12, Alpine MRP-M1000 , cobra radar detector, Tinted Tails and 3rd Brake Light, 6000K H.I.D.'s, red interior l.e.d., white l.e.d. grille light, 2 white l.e.d. front bumper painted grille.
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
I'm trying to install some to but i'm confused on what exactly you have to drill for the dust cover
you just have to drill a hole, they is extra wires that need to go to the HID ballasts. there is also a rubber gromit on the wires to reseal the hole

Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, 5% Eyebrow tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Interior LEDs, Painted engine covers, Tinted tails, 6K Low Beam HID, 8K High Beam HID, Painted Grilles, Painted Door Trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, Racingline STB, Racingline Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverttheclown View Post
abyssul...what exactly did you get from the site because it has options for other stuff like a dual in and out harness and an extra adaptor cable. if you could just let me know what exactly you got and what you had to do to install them - steps, time, etc. thanks a lot man
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Wattage: 35w
Bulb Type: H11
Bulb Color: 6000k
HID Harness: Yes (I opted for no, but if I were to buy another HID kit. I would pick yes for safety reasons) This item is optional.
Error Eliminator: No
Adapter Cables: No

If I were ever to take my headlight out again, I would make a video How-to but it is really simple once you get the kit in your hands. You can download the installation instructions from their website too.

Here is a picture of dust covers with holes in them:

The kit will be mounted outside the headlight assembly to the body of the car. The two prongs that go into the stock plug need to be the right polarity. So make sure black goes in the black wire slot and the same for positive.

If you have any questions, then feel free to ask. I feel like I should be working for some company for this.
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Garage
haha definitely some good info there i appreciate it...what does the HID harness do though and why would you get it for safety reasons ha

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

The HID harness helps dissipate any heat causes by the initial burst of volts when the bulbs are ignited. It keeps the wires from melting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in