12v Outlet Install - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Phantom Warrior

12v Outlet Install

So I was cleaning out my car last night.....Trust me it need it badly. Anyway, and I noticed that inside the center console, there is a plug for which appears to be a spot for an optional 12 outlet. Now my questions are:
1. Does anyone have one in theirs?
2. How would I go about installing one. (I'm a total brain dump when it comes to power and electricity)

On a side question.....Has anyone had any luck contacting AIT for anything? Not calling them, but through email??? I have emailed them 3 different times. Last one was just about a week ago and I haven't heard anything back. Just wondering.

"Jennifer" (My G6)

2006 G6 Sedan

Mods right now:
Tint: 15% Rear, 30% Front (Arizona Law)

10/21/10: Needing new bumper...on the prowl!

BORING!!!! So Far!!!

Soon to come:
A whole list of changes....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM
A BANNED TERD

1. yes I believe most G6s have another 12v sort in their center consoles.
2. And how would you go about installing what??
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

If your G6 didnt have that option you could buy one ofthese and cut the end off.
One is power and one is ground. Run the wire & splice it in.

I did the same thing last week to have an outlet under my dash.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Professional geek

All G6's came with two power outlets.

If you do not have traction control, the second outlet is mounted to the right of the first outlet.

If you do have traction control, the second outlet is moved to the center console, and the TC button is mounted in the second power outlet position below the radio.

Both outlets are wired to be live all the time. Both outlets also have a cover. If you do not have two outlets on the stack below your radio, try flipping the outlet cover open.

Like Lampoon, I added yet another outlet. Mine is tied to the Retained Accessory Power and is used to hard-wire my GPS.

~ MattInSoCal
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Phantom Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInSoCal View Post
All G6's came with two power outlets.

If you do not have traction control, the second outlet is mounted to the right of the first outlet.

If you do have traction control, the second outlet is moved to the center console, and the TC button is mounted in the second power outlet position below the radio.

Both outlets are wired to be live all the time. Is there any way to rewire them (without installing a small switch) so that when the car turns off so do they? Both outlets also have a cover. If you do not have two outlets on the stack below your radio, try flipping the outlet cover open. I'm not that retarded. I cut the caps off the two I have there now cause they were only in the way. Im always using the outlets. Ipod/GPS

Like Lampoon, I added yet another outlet. Mine is tied to the Retained Accessory Power and is used to hard-wire my GPS.

~ MattInSoCal
I knew most of that already....Im trying to figure out the part (oem) to buy that is installed in the console when someone has traction cont. Was it easy to install? I started taking apart the bin and saw a few wires running, but have no idea which ones to tap the part into.

"Jennifer" (My G6)

2006 G6 Sedan

Mods right now:

BORING!!!! So Far!!!

Soon to come:

Last edited by SmokeyPSA; 10-27-2010 at 07:16 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyPSA View Post
Is there any way to rewire them [the power outlets] (without installing a small switch) so that when the car turns off so do they?
The best way to do this and retain the power rating is to use a relay that is operated by the Retained Accessory Power. Or you can do what I did and add another outlet connected to the RAP and leave the others as they are.

Quote:
I'm not that retarded.
I wasn't trying to imply that; when I first read your post I though you hadn't found the second outlet. I now understand that you have two beneath your radio.

Quote:
I knew most of that already....Im trying to figure out the part (oem) to buy that is installed in the console when someone has traction cont. Was it easy to install? I started taking apart the bin and saw a few wires running, but have no idea which ones to tap the part into.
I don't think you'll find the individual parts that easily. Perhaps if you go to a dealer they may help by looking up the illustrated parts list, if the part is even available. The power outlet has a set of pins that will plug into one of the existing harness connectors. It will have two pins and a red/white striped wire couples with a black wire. No guarantee that circuit will be live, though, and if it is, it will be on all the time.

~ MattInSoCal
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Phantom Warrior

Yeah, I checked gmpartsdirect and the pics they have is very sketchy...not too sure if im looking at it right the way they have it exploded. But anyway....thanks for the help Matt. Dont worry I wasnt offended by anything. Figured you were just playing around. Im going to look around at some salvage yards around my area, and see what I can part.

"Jennifer" (My G6)

2006 G6 Sedan

Mods right now:

BORING!!!! So Far!!!

Soon to come:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

let me know if you see any License Plate light housings.....two small screws and it pulls right out.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:29 PM

Adding an accessory power outlet

I had my centre console apart today to diagnose a problem with the power outlet inside the console (stopped working but the one under the HVAC controls was still powered; appears to be a broken socket as there is power at the plug to the socket inside the console).

Anyhow, I am interested in adding another outlet or two and I'm wondering where folks have added them in. I could splice the outlets into the existing harness that powers the existing outlets but I would prefer to have the new ones on the key. Where do I go about connecting a circuit or two? There is mention of using the retained accessory power in this thread but I don't know how to access it or how I would add anything to it (or where that would be).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by data1701 View Post
I had my centre console apart today to diagnose a problem with the power outlet inside the console (stopped working but the one under the HVAC controls was still powered; appears to be a broken socket as there is power at the plug to the socket inside the console).

Anyhow, I am interested in adding another outlet or two and I'm wondering where folks have added them in. I could splice the outlets into the existing harness that powers the existing outlets but I would prefer to have the new ones on the key. Where do I go about connecting a circuit or two? There is mention of using the retained accessory power in this thread but I don't know how to access it or how I would add anything to it (or where that would be).
On one of my vehicles the 12 Volt outlet stopped working when I had a lighter plug fall apart and short out between the center and outside conductors. The fuse didn't blow and I checked the power wire at the connector and found it to be alive. I finally got around to removing the outlet one day and figured out that it had a built-in fuse. Once I bypassed that the outlet worked again. I don't know if the G6 is the same, but it would make sense. If you do the same, it would be safest to add an extra fuse inline.

As far as adding an extra outlet, mine was added to hard-wire my GPS power to the RAP output. I got a Voltmeter and figured out which line was alive when the RAP output was active. It turns out the one I connected to shuts off when any door is opened, as opposed to the circuit that shuts off when the driver's door is opened. Fine by me. You might be able to figure that out by looking at this picture:

Note that I used a low-value (2-Amp) fuse to protect my add-on curcuit and the RAP output.

~ MattInSoCal

Last edited by MattInSoCal; 09-03-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Update image link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Appearance Modifications and Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in