LED Conversion - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

LED Conversion

Hi,

I'm interested in installing LED turn signal and brake lamps on an '08 GXP.

Since there is no turn signal flasher on these cars and only the BCM, am I able to make this conversion without any electrical mods? Will the BCM be able to run the LEDs properly?

Or does the system on the car make this conversion impractical?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
It will be fine, but without installing resistors your turn siganls will flash a little fast.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Resistors

I tried resistors on my previous car and the lights never worked properly - should i bite the bullet and have them professionally installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I have all exterior LEDs front and back with load resistors and everything works fine. Installation isn't so bad. Was your old car a Saab by chance? I understand those can be touchy with led mods
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I just went without them. They blink a little faster than usual but i kinda like it.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

^ better for highway driving
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Resistors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
I have all exterior LEDs front and back with load resistors and everything works fine. Installation isn't so bad. Was your old car a Saab by chance? I understand those can be touchy with led mods
I had a Ford Focus, actually. Even bought the resistors with the heat sinks. I think I'll pop in the LEDs I have and see what happens. Possible i installed the resistors wrong - do you have a diagram?

If you could tell me what value resistors you're using and where you bought them I would greatly appreciate that also.

Thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I bought these exact load resistors for the rears:
http://www.amazon.com/Resistor-Hyper-Blinking-Warning-Signal/dp/B002CJQIGW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1389817032&sr=8-5&keywords=led+load+resistors
The front's I had to use a larger resistor to keep everything working.

When I connected the resistors I just connected one wire to the brake/turn signal wire and the other one straight to ground. So whenever the brake or turn signal is on, it's also going through that resistor which is drawing enough current for the BCM to believe there's a bulb there.
Here's a diagram:

It looks like it's the purple wire At the actual housing itself. but after the connector down behind the bumper it's yellow and dark green for the coupe. But I can't be 100% on that. I would test the wiring to be sure.

This is how I mounted my Resistors:

The arrow points to where the wire goes into the harness and is soldered to the car's wiring. I wrote all this in a thread somewhere else but I could not find it. lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Resistors

Thanks for all the great info - I'll grab those ones from Amazon (great price too - gotta love Amazon), but could you tell me the values of the ones you used for the front?

I'll try the direct-to-ground method you used also - I hadn't thought of that - great way to kill 2 birds with one stone - ground and attach resistor to body.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I tried the 25w resistors for the fronts but that didn't work out as well.
So I went with 50w resistors. These:
http://www.amazon.com/Resistors-Signal-License-Warning-Cancellor/dp/B004EDF8HY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389902456&sr=8-1&keywords=led+load+resistor
I would recommend checking out V-Leds for bulbs. I paid $50 a pair for mine and couldn't be happier. They are BRIGHT AS HELL! I have gifs to support this lol

And yea I attached them to the steel bumper because they get pretty hot. So I wanted to keep them away from anything plastic.
So far I've only had to replace one rear resistor, but I've had them for quite a while now. And the rears work when you hit the brakes too so it was expected.

If you plan to do ALL exterior leds you may need to add one resistor to the parking light circuit. I ran into a problem where my turn signal would feed back through the parking lights and cause them all to flash. When I switched to the brighter leds from V-leds that stopped, and I think it's because those LEDs have a higher current draw, BUT not enough to stop the hyperflash.

A small resistor wired to the License Plate bulb should solve that in case it's an issue.\
Also I just wanted to add, Adding an LED license plate light really adds a touch of quality to the rear end IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 GXP Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in