2 Questions: Center Brake Light & KeyFob - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

2 Questions: Center Brake Light & KeyFob

Hi again,

Wanted to start a fresh thread here with a few troubleshooting questions.

The center brake light is out on my '08 GXP, and I'm wondering how best to troubleshoot it. If the unit is still "live" do I look for a blown fuse or something? Can I use a circuit tester to check the unit/connection?

And - my car came without a keyfob so I bought one online - it is GM licensed/Genuine GM (unless the packaging is counterfeit). I've found some generic programming instructions (which I haven't tried yet), but I've also read that it absolutely has to be done at a GM dealership with specialized equipment. Feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
is your third brake light in the window or trunk?

Dealer has to program the key fob.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

As I suspected with the keyfob - thanks.

The third brake light is inside the rear window, on top of the panel behind the rear seats. Looks like a bit of a chore to get to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 05:06 PM

yah the flob has to be programed at the dealer, usually bring the service guys in a coffee they will do it quick for free. also if you have a flob that just isn't working, you might need a insert. At my dealer this one 30 bucks and its a new board that goes over the current one after this my flob that didn't work came back better then new. If you need to program a key you can do that your self, once you get them to cut it you can program it, don't let them tell you different . If you need how to let me know ill put up

Current Mod's - Tint 35/20, Eyelids, debadged, scosche wiring - 12" JBL 1000 sub powed by a 350 kicker amp - stinger LOC - LED under dash lights- Raceline Strut Bar - HID xenon 8000 - K&N CRABS FPU Intake

Future - K&N Intake, Halo headlights, LED Tail's, Underglow, Rims
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

For that third brake light does it look like you can get to it through the trunk?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlack View Post
yah the flob has to be programed at the dealer, usually bring the service guys in a coffee they will do it quick for free. also if you have a flob that just isn't working, you might need a insert. At my dealer this one 30 bucks and its a new board that goes over the current one after this my flob that didn't work came back better then new. If you need to program a key you can do that your self, once you get them to cut it you can program it, don't let them tell you different . If you need how to let me know ill put up
Well I'm taking the fob to a Chevy dealership tomorrow morning - I'll ask the fee then go from there. It's a brand new fob so it will need the full programming.

Thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
For that third brake light does it look like you can get to it through the trunk?
I don't think I can - I think I have to remove the rear seat and package tray - same as for removing/replacing the rear speakers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Ugh!! That's a total pain. I would pull it out and convert it to LED and replace the speakers. Then never bother with it again
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM

I'm pretty sure the brake light in the coupes window is LED which is nice. Mine also has a bunch of dust and dirt in it but it just doesn't look easily accessible to clean.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Center Brake Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Ugh!! That's a total pain. I would pull it out and convert it to LED and replace the speakers. Then never bother with it again
That's exactly what I intend to do, on both counts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlack View Post
The FOB was successfully programmed at the Chevy dealer yesterday - on 52 bucks - can't complain.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irock99 View Post
I'm pretty sure the brake light in the coupes window is LED which is nice. Mine also has a bunch of dust and dirt in it but it just doesn't look easily accessible to clean.
If that's true then the unit itself is probably working, i guess, meaning the problem is somewhere in the wiring/fuses, etc. which means a lot of troubleshooting. I suppose I could remove the unit and take it in and have it tested - that would at least tell me where I stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 GXP Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in