Did you know a GXP is just as fast as a HEMI Charger? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Did you know a GXP is just as fast as a HEMI Charger?

After I "manhandled" one a couple of weeks ago, I did some research comparisons.

The 0-60 specs are just about the same for both cars with .1 difference here and there. 6.1 to 6.3 depending on who performed the tests (but I got my specs from Edmonds.com) In the quarter mile @97mph, the difference is around .3 seconds or so with the Charger getting a slight edge. (again from my Edmonds source)

So to make a long story short, although the Dodge Charger is suppose to compete with the G8 and the likes, it can barely if at all handle a 6 cyl G6 GXP.

I still think getting rid of Pontiac is a TERRIBLE MOVE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Lifetime Member

Cool stuff, thanks

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Good find man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Cool stuff, thanks
Of course the 8 walks all over it
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Varsity Squad

Garage
My sister inlaw has one, we have joked about racing. I need to get my bro to steal it sometime so I can see if my moded GTP can beat her stock Hemi Charger.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsGTP View Post
My sister inlaw has one, we have joked about racing. I need to get my bro to steal it sometime so I can see if my moded GTP can beat her stock Hemi Charger.

I think you can take her. LOL!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Before I had my G6 I had a 2006 R/T Daytona Charger. Yea it had 350 hp but it weighed a ton more than the G6. All I miss of the charger is the roar of the hemi.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM
LCPL Cobb

What about the SXT Charger with the Hemi engine package? I friend of mine has one and with the new tires on my 6 it seems like their neck and neck coming off the line, all the way up to about 45mph [[the auto G6 GT's shift point]] and barely starts to pull away after that.

Are there different performance specs on the R/T's drivetrain as opposed to the SXT?

Oorah!

2007 G6 GT Sedan
Looks: Painted engine cover, Streetglow Xenon Strobe kit in headlights(red), blacked out tail lights, custom "G6OWNERSCLUB.COM" Logo in third brake light.

Handling: Sumitomo HTR ZII 235/45/ZR17 tires, ATE Performance Slotted Brake Rotors (front only), HAWK HPS High Performance Brake Pads (all around)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:44 AM
newcomer

I went slightly faster than my buddy's challenger R/T.. His has exhaust, mine tune and exhaust.. also raced a charger R/T too when mine was bone stock.. smoked him easy,but don't know if he was pushing his best.. anyways, I know challenger R/T goes slightly faster than the charger.. so I'm sure i'd smoke a stock hemi charger with my car bone stock.. all the V8 for nothing,,

08 G6 GXP Coupe -SOLD- for an M3 but the new girl still can't replace her

10,000K HID Low Beam, 10,000K HID fog kit, Eibach pro lowering kit (with 1 coil cut at the front), white LED interior lights (map and dome), custom front side license plate mount, custom DynoMax Exhaust w/ custom resonator & 2.5" piping (used to be w/ Magnaflow), K&N Air Filter, HP Tuners VCM tuned, 20x8.5 Gianna Blitz rims w/ Nitto tires, Garmin Nav-Tech, tinted windows, white LED rear license plate light, aluminum brushed custom pontiac badges, redded out tail lights, custom aluminum color painted brake pads..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3801235 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYV0sfpXfts
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm not at all surprised by reading this. I like the Charger and the Challenger both but they are overweight pigs that will not survive the changing market. I think Fiat will take care of slimming them down while probably increasing their performance and mileage.
All of this showcases how good a car the G6 is and how dumb GM is for squelching the whole division. I'm sorry folks, but I have yet to see one car from Chevy or Buick that I like half as much as a G6, GP or G8.
I was considering getting myself a GP GXP, but after reading this thread I may have just ruled that out completely. The G6 GXP is a sweet car with many examples going for good prices. I like the G8 also but even the V6 version is too pricey for me, and aside from it being RWD, I dont think it offers as much bang for the buck as the G6.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
newcomer

Hey thunderbat, I think you should definitely get a gxp. however, I don't know about where you live but here, g6 gxp (specially the coupe one) is really rare and hard to find. I have the only gxp in the city here. and I'm sure that mine is the only coupe gxp in the whole province. I think there should be cheap used G8 GT around for cheap price. that should be another option for you. GP GXP is not as good tho in my opinion..

10,000K HID Low Beam, 10,000K HID fog kit, Eibach pro lowering kit (with 1 coil cut at the front), white LED interior lights (map and dome), custom front side license plate mount, custom DynoMax Exhaust w/ custom resonator & 2.5" piping (used to be w/ Magnaflow), K&N Air Filter, HP Tuners VCM tuned, 20x8.5 Gianna Blitz rims w/ Nitto tires, Garmin Nav-Tech, tinted windows, white LED rear license plate light, aluminum brushed custom pontiac badges, redded out tail lights, custom aluminum color painted brake pads..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3801235 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYV0sfpXfts
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc88_usmc View Post
What about the SXT Charger with the Hemi engine package? I friend of mine has one and with the new tires on my 6 it seems like their neck and neck coming off the line, all the way up to about 45mph [[the auto G6 GT's shift point]] and barely starts to pull away after that.

Are there different performance specs on the R/T's drivetrain as opposed to the SXT?
I'm sure the "hemi package"is more like appearance package? because if it was a V8, and your G6 GT is stock, I don't think that it is possible that your car can go neck to neck with it.. but I'm not sure so..

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbat View Post
I'm not at all surprised by reading this. I like the Charger and the Challenger both but they are overweight pigs that will not survive the changing market. I think Fiat will take care of slimming them down while probably increasing their performance and mileage.
All of this showcases how good a car the G6 is and how dumb GM is for squelching the whole division. I'm sorry folks, but I have yet to see one car from Chevy or Buick that I like half as much as a G6, GP or G8.
I was considering getting myself a GP GXP, but after reading this thread I may have just ruled that out completely. The G6 GXP is a sweet car with many examples going for good prices. I like the G8 also but even the V6 version is too pricey for me, and aside from it being RWD, I dont think it offers as much bang for the buck as the G6.
When I leased my G6 GXP in 2008 I considered a GP GXP but that was my last choice, the G8 GT was first but since my lease terms on a GP base was up there weren't any GT's around in time to take advantage of the very last lease pull ahead GM offered prior to the bailout and the demise of Pontiac.

I've been monitoring the values of this car since I plan on buying it next year and it's in line with what I expected. They just need more aftermarket mods.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 PM

The new buick regals are pretty good

Lima... where the men outnumber the women and the women outweigh the men.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 PM

the forthcoming Regal with the turbo 2.0 will probably be a pretty sporty car, based on the Vauxhall version sold in Europe, unless GM waters it down for the US market, but even if it comes over with its full 220hp powerplant, its going to get smoked by the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo, which uses 2.0L to thump out 275hp/269lbs/ft of torque.

Talk about something that will dust a Hemi Charger and still get 34mpg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 GXP Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in