08 09 GXP/ 07 GTP LY7 performance upgrades - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
newcomer

08 09 GXP/ 07 GTP LY7 performance upgrades

hey guys, it's been 1 year now since I had my GXP.. I'm getting really tired looking around for performance upgrades for my gxp.. Other than intake, exhaust (which i've changed two times), Tune, and lowering kit, I basically can't find anything else..

Any suggestion? anyone here have a 3.6 L that's upgraded more than just above? I would go with STS turbo if my car is not new.. I know it would give my engine more stress anyways.. So, suggestions other than STS turbo please..

I'm desperate for more power by the way..

08 G6 GXP Coupe -SOLD- for an M3 but the new girl still can't replace her

10,000K HID Low Beam, 10,000K HID fog kit, Eibach pro lowering kit (with 1 coil cut at the front), white LED interior lights (map and dome), custom front side license plate mount, custom DynoMax Exhaust w/ custom resonator & 2.5" piping (used to be w/ Magnaflow), K&N Air Filter, HP Tuners VCM tuned, 20x8.5 Gianna Blitz rims w/ Nitto tires, Garmin Nav-Tech, tinted windows, white LED rear license plate light, aluminum brushed custom pontiac badges, redded out tail lights, custom aluminum color painted brake pads..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3801235 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYV0sfpXfts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 PM

get headers, more power and a great sound.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:05 AM

I was in the process of making a intake runner extension but it's too much trouble. Had problems with stock intake valley pan.

One thing I an going to do is gasket match the intake manifold to the cylinder head.

Another thing I am going to try is a simple port of the intake runner to cylinder head inlet. Yes I will do this while the heads are on the engine. I will block them off with a plug.

Going to try some puddy to match the runners together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
There is not much out there for the GTP with the 3.9 either (had it since brand new in 06). I had a custom exhaust made with magnaflow mufflers and tips that I ordered in, made my own intake with spectre tubing and filter from Autozone, only other performance addition was a JET Stage 2 Module flash program.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxpbOi View Post
get headers, more power and a great sound.
I can't find any headers for 3.6.. I only saw some for the 3.5 and I don't think they will fit..

10,000K HID Low Beam, 10,000K HID fog kit, Eibach pro lowering kit (with 1 coil cut at the front), white LED interior lights (map and dome), custom front side license plate mount, custom DynoMax Exhaust w/ custom resonator & 2.5" piping (used to be w/ Magnaflow), K&N Air Filter, HP Tuners VCM tuned, 20x8.5 Gianna Blitz rims w/ Nitto tires, Garmin Nav-Tech, tinted windows, white LED rear license plate light, aluminum brushed custom pontiac badges, redded out tail lights, custom aluminum color painted brake pads..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3801235 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYV0sfpXfts
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech_5 View Post
I was in the process of making a intake runner extension but it's too much trouble. Had problems with stock intake valley pan.

One thing I an going to do is gasket match the intake manifold to the cylinder head.

Another thing I am going to try is a simple port of the intake runner to cylinder head inlet. Yes I will do this while the heads are on the engine. I will block them off with a plug.

Going to try some puddy to match the runners together.
gasket match? you mean port and polish cylinder head and intake manifold?

I've thought about it.. thinking to do it really soon but don't know how hard it would be..haha..I read on the other thread that someone did this already.. apparently it is a quite a bit of a job.. if some one posts a full video on how to do it right, then Ill do it right away too..

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgxp View Post
gasket match? you mean port and polish cylinder head and intake manifold?

I've thought about it.. thinking to do it really soon but don't know how hard it would be..haha..I read on the other thread that someone did this already.. apparently it is a quite a bit of a job.. if some one posts a full video on how to do it right, then Ill do it right away too..
No, gasket matching is just what it says. Trimming the intake manifold gasket so it does not interfere with air flow. More often than not the gaskets are oversize and cover part of the intake runner. So it is not the same as port an polish. Relatively simple to do if one can remove an intake manifold.

The other thing I was talking about was simply making sure that the runners line up perfectly with no overlap. This is not port and polish either.

To port and polish heads you need to remove the head and take it the valves out. You will need a flow bench to measure the flow before you begin (to see exactly what the flow is in the runner, measured in CFM vs velosity) and then start removing material to optimize the max flow through the runner. This is tricky to do, slight changes can drastically effect the flow characteristics of the cylinder head and may not be beneficial. Polishing is not very beneficial unless you are running wide open throttle all the time. Some roughness in the runners will enhance the mixture of air and fuel and give better torque.

Porting if done correctly can drastically enhance the power and power band of an engine. Polishing if done correctly will do the same if you have the air flow velocity and good fuel air mixture and fuel vaporization.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Gxp coupe owner

Send a message via MSN to Joejeep72 Send a message via Yahoo to Joejeep72
Hey this is a reply to black gxp I live in chilliwack got a 08 gunmetal gray gxp coupe and same thing as you getting pissed off that there are no preformance parts for the gxp the only other thing that I found is a chip for computer and gasket extender for the throttle body to make the air more turbulent when it goes in to the intake that's it even wrote k&n to see if they'll manufacture something for the 3.6 vvt engine lets see what happens did the Exaust and a k&n filter that's all I can do for now till warranty expires
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Hey everybody obviously new here. I have an 09 G^ GXP and i absolutely love it. have had grand ams before but his car is crazy. Im looking ,like everyone else, the best CAI to install since there arent many options as well as any info on performance chips and programmers.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 PM

be honest intake, exhaust, and headers about it im saving up to drop a ls4 in
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 PM

Garage
intake tune exhaust mms headers cams from australia. you can do alot to these cars if you know where to look
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 AM

^ shipping parts like that internationally is such a risk. Losing or breakage of item and heavy cost of shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 GXP Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in