About to install: Metra Turbo2 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

About to install: Metra Turbo2

Well, I'm off to Canadian Tire to get the following:

Soldering Iron
Solder
Electrical Tape

My Turbo2 has been sitting in my house for almost a week now. I've finally gotten tired of not having MP3 capability, so I will be installing my old Kenwood KDC-MP8017 deck for the time being.

In the spring, I plan on installing a Pioneer Avic-N2 or a custom Pentium M w/7" VGA screen.

Currently, I'm going to keep the Monsoon speakers. Again, in the spring, I plan on replacing the front with a 6" component system and the rear with 6", as well as a 10" subwoofer in the trunk.

I'll post some pictures of the deck installed as soon as I finish it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:37 PM

Cool. Let us know how it turns out.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

The Turbo2 works, but it is damned ugly.

The buttons "amber" colour is orange, and the LCD is white. None of this matches anything in the car.

After all the effort of soldering things and taping them, I installed the deck and the Turbo 2. I plugged the wiring harness into the Turbo2 and the car, and then the deck didn't work. I missed plugging the wiring harness into the deck. DOH!

One problem with the Turbo2: I live in Canada. Even with the settings on Metric, the outside temperature is shown in fahrenheit. It's a $200 kit and they didn't take the time to get even that right.

So here's my review on the Turbo2: Get it if you need the DIC, but do NOT plan on it being attractive. Do not plan on it doing everything accurately.

Now my review on the Pioneer DEH-P7700MP, which I installed: It's a good deck with a really nice display. The only downside to it that I can see is that I can't turn the buttons to amber instead of green. It powers the stock Monsoon speakers decently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS2000
The Turbo2 works, but it is damned ugly.
From all the pictures I've seen I have to agree with you. The silver lcd with black text makes it look like a cheap wristwatch display.

I'm thinking of getting a NAV unit installed and still keeping the DIC. Right now the only thing stopping me is the look of the DIC display. If it looked like what is shown on metra's website with the double line text and white text on blue background I would have it installed already. The NAV unit I'll probably go for is the Eclipse AVN 7000 and the blue lcd/white text would match up well with the nav screen.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The buttons "amber" colour is orange, and the LCD is white. None of this matches anything in the car.
amber is orange. lol Just like the reflectors on the front of the car.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:17 PM

you can change buttons to green if you like
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
My Turbo2 has been sitting in my house for almost a week now. I've finally gotten tired of not having MP3 capability, so I will be installing my old Kenwood KDC-MP8017 deck for the time being.
BUMMER......i was all pumped up to see that someone has finally made a TURBO for the G6 and all you're talking about is some stereo system.

guess i'll keep waiting........
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginuwine
you can change buttons to green if you like
Sure, I could do that. But that would be even worse.

One thing I did with the Turbo2 was changed the contrast/brightness settings on the LCD from what they were stock. It actually looks a little nicer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in