replace rear speaker with 6x9's - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Question replace rear speaker with 6x9's

car
2006 pontiac g6 gtp sedan (no rear air bags)

I've been searching for a solution to my problem but have no clear answers. One of my rear speakers is blown. It's my understanding this is a 6/12 speaker with a tweeter and they are wired together and connect into the factory amp which has a built in crossover. I want to replace this with straight 6x9's and use the existing factory amp. From what I've read this will require modification of the 6x9 to some extent and rather than ruin a perfectly good set of 6x9's because I lack the experience I was hoping someone who has done the modification could help me out. First question is what kind of speaker should I get 3 way 2 way? Any specific speaker? Second what is involved with the modification? I tried to use crutchfield but they were no help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM

well if it call for a 6.5 get a 6.5 speaker i think the are a better than a 6x9 i wont run them u

u can look online or call a gm dealer for a factory replacement or any 6.5 2,3,4 way will work with no modding use crutch or sonic what fits my guide

u can mod the rear deck but i would get 2 sets of 6.5 components and a amp to run them and do an fiberglass deck but i will need to cut some metal

05 G6

ipad mini install

Gametag psn=getonerd 360=geronerd
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM

The rears are 6x9's. You can look at them in the trunk and it will be obvious they are not 6.5's.

The mod you are talking about is taking a 2 way speaker and seperating either the tweeter or woofer leads from the speaker terminal. You do this because the monsoon system uses 4 wires to each speaker, one set is the (+) and (-) for the woofer, the other set for the tweeter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

@Dmanj...thank you. I see you have already changed the factory speakers in your ride BTW looks sweet. I wish I had the time to do it. So with the JL...speakers did you lose the high's? do you have any pics of the wiring? thank you
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Thanks. I changed out everything in my car. The headunit, wiring and all speakers were replaced as well I added a 4 channel amp to power them. Because of that I did not lose anything.

However, I also did not have the monsoon system, so I never had to worry about losing the highs, since there were only 2 wires running to each speaker.

No pictures of the wiring other than what was in the thread. It's much simpler not having the monsoon system. Wiring was direct from my aftermarket amp to each speaker, with no 4 wire bs that the monsoon system has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in