new member. radio help - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

new member. radio help

Im looking to change out a 6 disc cd changer radio out of my wifes car. The cd part has quit working and she wants to be able to listen to cds. Problem is, all the information is stored on the unit. What are my options? i was told once that the information could be converted to a new dash cluster. not sure if true or not. I have heard i can get an aftermarket radio, and that all i ould need is some hookup kit that would retain all the info. How will that info show up on an aftermarket radio? Would i be limited to certain cd players?

Last question is assuming i want to stay stock. I know i could always get another cd player from another pontiac. I dont want another 6 disc changer due to all the negative things ive read about the lifespan of them. I could get a radio with a single disc cd player, but how would i go about unlocking the security code on it? I dont want to buy one off of ebay and get it and it be locked and not work. If i put a locked radio in my car, it isnt going to have any security impact on the car will it?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

First off, WELCOME!
Now, If you buy a replacement OEM stereo you will have to get it programmed by the dealer for you VIN so it'll work in your car, otherwise no dice.

You can easily get an aftermarket head unit. But you need to get a Metra Dash kit.
here's one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-3303-Vehicles-Integrate-Diagnostics/dp/B000G7SGO4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358940658&sr=8-2&keywords=pontiac+g6+dash+kit
If you get that kit and install it in the dash, you'll then have room for a smaller single din stereo. Which is fine, But some people want the larger double din units with a touch screen and everything, Those will fit and can still work, but then you're left with the metra kit, Some members have relocated that to the center console or the glovebox, So it's there and still usable, but out of site.

There's actually a user on here who is right now selling a single din stereo with the metra dash kit.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Legend

Garage
Re: new member. radio help

I would say go with the Metra kit and new headunit. I think its g6girl or something has a thread called garage sale and she's selling a aftermarket headunit and the Metra kit for a total or $100 plus shipping which is a killer deal considering that the Metra kit alone is about 150 New.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I found the thread with her stuff. Sounds like a great price, but right now im pressed for extra cash. Trying to do something once i get my taxes in. Does the metra dash kit come with all the required cables to retain all information, or do i have to purchase them separate? I dont know if a double din radio would be for me. Not one to want to pay $300 for a stereo. I havent upgraded to an aftermarket radio in several years, so i dont know whats good now days and whats not. If i do get the double din, how would i retain vehicle information on it? running it to glove box the only option?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Legend

Garage

It's a killer price. People are usually really cool about working with you on things. For instance I'm on a payment plan with a member right now. I didn't have 300 up front for something so I'm paying 50 bucks a paycheck to pay it off. If anything I would at least get the Metra kit and a radio later. As far as the kit it comes with everything needed to make it plug and play. Harnesses and all. And most headunits are good these days. All of the advancements that have been made in car audio over the last few years are becoming standard to where you can get a nice pioneer/Kenwood/alpine etc headunit for from 80-150 bucks from walmart or best buy or online with all the bells and whistles. Having a double din is cool but unless you want to have to relocate the Metra kit to the glovebox or wherever I would just stick with the single din. I had the double din with a harness that was about half of the retail price of the Metra kit and I lost all the info center and at first it was no big deal but after a while got annoying not knowing what the various dings were for. And now I have a single din flip out with the Metra kit and I am a lot more happy with this set up. If your strapped on cash I would keep an eye out on www.sonicelectronix.com bc they have sales going on all the time to where you can get higher quality headunits for cheaper unit prices. And thier customer service people are really friendly and their warranty on their products is really good and easy to deal with.

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression

Last edited by J dog; 01-23-2013 at 11:45 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM

If you want to stay with a stock radio, a new one will have to be programmed to your car by the dealership. You'll need to make sure you have the vin of the car it came out of as well.

Just remember that if you decide to go with brand new aftermarket equipment, you get what you pay for.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Another question is this: why is there static in the radio if im charging my phone through the cigarette lighter port? As soon as i unplug it the static goes away but cant charge phone without some mild static coming over the speakers.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Legend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_86_05 View Post
Another question is this: why is there static in the radio if im charging my phone through the cigarette lighter port? As soon as i unplug it the static goes away but cant charge phone without some mild static coming over the speakers.
Are you using the aux while charging? I have that issue so I just don't charge it if I'm playing music from my phone. If your not then you got me.

J DOG

MODS

Progression
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

no i dont have an aux on my factory radio so i dont use that while charging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in