Quick question. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quick question.

I have a 2009 G6, and I just bought new deck and door speakers. I was wondering if you think i will need to also get a amp to power the new speakers.

Door http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R650...EF-6502ix.html

Deck http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...larProductOnly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM

If it were me, i wouldnt worry too much about adding an amp to these speakers, unless you decide to add a sub then maybe. Generally a deck will push them fine but an amp will push them more clear. Thats just my opinion and whay i hqve learned by doing prolly 10 diff systems
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thats what i was thinking. I plan on installing a new head unit to push a little more. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Np man. Thats what we are here for is to help each other. I just replaced my monsoon deck with a kenwood ddx418 that was given to me from my brother. I left the stock speakers and after adjusting the settings, i got it to sound better than the monsoon. I am pleased with it now. When you get your new deck, be sure to get the antenna adapter too or will be driving back to wally world to get it mid job lol. Be sure n do it yourself too. Its not that bad of a job. Takes abt 30 mins to take it all out. Also you will need to have some sort of stud on the back of the new deck. I had to make one to mount mine
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I have been hearing that you will lose the in dash oil life and what not. Do you know if there is any truth to that?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 PM

Yea thats gonna be gone and that sux. You can however get a kit by Metra. If you use a single din deck, it relocates it below the deck and if you use a double you can get one that moves it to the glove box. Now who the hell wants it there i have no idea. But there are options out there to keep them
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

I feel like there should be other ways around it, its not like putting a head unit in is something that gm thought would never happen ha. Is that the same for models that have it right underneath the gauges?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanDaMan View Post
if you use a double you can get one that moves it to the glove box.
No you can't. I only comes one way, for the single DIN to be mounted in the dash.

If you want to relocate the metra to the glovebox, you have to cut the top off of it and extend the wiring to fit in there. I did it with mine because it was the only way to have a DDIN and still be able to change the settings when I needed to without having to take apart the dash and put the stock radio back in.

If you have your DIC in the cluster, then there is no need for the metra kit, because the DIC is no longer part of the radio.

As for your speaker situation, whether you by an amp or not will depend on how much you want to get out the speakers. If they are loud enough for you without an amp, then there is no point getting one, put if you want them louder, you will need an amp.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. And I plan on just getting the head unit and seeing if that pushes enough power.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM

Which was my answer to the speaker ? Too. I took for granted there was a kit for glove box mount because ive seen several ppl do it. Sorry for the misinformation. I am newto the g6 world and i wont and dont claim to know it all. So sorry again, my bad
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:52 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Re: Quick question.

Don't sweat it
You could also get a newer G6 gauge cluster with the dic and the matching steering wheel buttons. Then you have to add a wire and the 2010 cluster and dic will work on older models. I plan to go this route... but not until my OEM stereo inevitably craps out... lol
It doesn't seem cheap and doesnt look to be all plug n play. But that's the fun of modding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in