Confused... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Confused...

Ok, I am not a car person, and I am not a stereo person so I know I am completely out of my depth here so please keep that in mind when trying to answer my questions. And I also know that this topic has been hashed out a million times, but the more I read the more confused I got. So I am looking for a nice streamlined answer, if there is such a thing. I have a 2006 G6 with a factory non-monsoon 6 CD changer, which works fine but has no aux in port. I have an old portable Sirius radio which also works fine, but the FM transmitter cords are shot, and I hate the bad quality of the sound when you try to listen to it over an empty FM station. I also have an iPod, and run into the same problem with crappy sound from the FM transmitters. I don't want something that charges the iPod because my husband has the iPhone 5 which uses the new style charger, and my phone and iPod use the old type so I just want to plug it into the headphone jack. I've looked into after-market stereos with the Sirius already in them (so I can just eliminate my old portable radio) and with aux ports for my iPod. Here is a link to the after-market stereo one of my friends recommended: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X750...ml#details-tab But, I got scared off by what people have said with the message center (DIC?) not working. I'm pretty sure I can hook the Sirius radio I have now to an aux port so would a FM modulator be a better option? The friend who recommended the after-market stereo will be installing whatever I end up getting, and he is good at this kind of stuff. What I am really trying to figure out is what is my best option to get all of these different radios to work and sound good. Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by aliceinchainsrose; 03-17-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Oh, and I forgot to say that I have no XM in the factory stereo. There is no button for it or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM

If your siruis unit has a headphone jack on it, you could find a stock radio with an aux port and install it into your car. It would have to be programmed to the car by the dealership, but that way you could plug your siruis unit into it aswell as your iphones.

If you want to go with an aftermarket radio, you can buy the metra 99-3303 which allows you to keep the DIC. That one you linked, being sirius ready, means you have to buy another module to use the sirius features built into it. If tou get the iphone cable, then you can plug your iphone into it, allowing it to charge and get the adapter from apple that would turn that plug into the plug your husbands iphone 5 requires.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

So is the metra something I would buy in addition to the after market stereo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

And if I decide to go with an fm modulator what are some good options?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 PM

The metra is something you would have to buy seperate. If you buy from crutchfield you should get it 50% off.

It would look like this in the car:

As far as FM modulators, i dont have much experience with them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I will look into it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok, if I'm going to go get an after market stereo can you list everything that I'm going to need to install it so I can get an idea of how much it will be?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 PM

All you will need for the basic install is the metra 99-3303 and the headunit of your choice.

However, if you have steering wheel controls that you want to keep you will need a module for that. If you plan on getting the headunit you linked and want to use Pioneer's XM, you will need a module for that. If you want to use your iPhone through the headunit, you will need a cable for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in