CD changer error, but radio still works? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

CD changer error, but radio still works?

I recently got a 2006 GT coupe. The previous owner stated that after a battery change, the CD changer did not recognize the 6 CD's that were in the stereo, as well as refusing to eject or accept any new CD's. You can still hear the mechanism working as if it is trying to change CD's though. Also, the reception for the radio is horrible at best, and I get about 2 stations clearly. I don't know if there is a correlation or not.

A couple days ago I took my car to a former Pontiac Dealer and they wouldn't even check it, saying that if the radio works and the CD player does not then it is a mechanical problem. They encouraged me to take out the stereo myself, which I know how to do, but before I do it, I'd like to know if there are any other opinions before I go about this. I tried looking up remedies on these forums as well as others, such as removing the radio fuse, pushing button combinations, etc., but to no avail.

If anyone can confirm that this is indeed a mechanical issue or a jam then I will go about removing it. Any other opinions? Fire away, thank you.

EDIT: If the stereo still did not work, then the dealership would look at it. They were actually trying to save me money and they were being cool about it. They also offered to program a new one should this not work, whether I order one from GM or just go to the junkyard.

Last edited by LXi G6; 09-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Try disconnecting the battery cables for about 5 mins. re-connect and see if that helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POF61glp View Post
Try disconnecting the battery cables for about 5 mins. re-connect and see if that helps.
I tried that and it did not work. The radio still plays but the cd player sounds like its trying to work but can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I removed the stereo from the car and the instructions the dealership gave me were very vague. Is there a way to open it up and get to the CD changer mechanism so I can free the CD's? Thank you for all who help in advance.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 AM

Hey try to clean leanse of cd insertion tray.I hope it will work for you and you get to solve your problem
NEED A QUOTATION FOR EXHIBITION STANDS & DISPLAYS?

Last edited by Douglas; 10-21-2013 at 01:08 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Hey try to clean leanse of cd insertion tray.I hope it will work for you and you get to solve your problem
Thank you, I will try that. If this does not work I will probably give up the Driver Info for an aftermarket stereo. I bought stereo out of an '09, installed it myself, had it programmed, only to find out it didn't work properly in the first place. Money down the drain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in