Looking to hear from people without DIC - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Looking to hear from people without DIC

Alright, so I'm thinking of installing a double DIN head unit, big screen, GPS navigation and whatnot, and I'm currently on the fence about whether or not I will miss my DIC at all. Yes, I do enjoy the gas mileage estimation, but I do tend to obsess over it, so I almost want to get rid of it. Trip odometer isn't the most important thing in the world, etc.

Problem is, I can marginalize these things all I want, but I want to hear from some people who have actually taken the plunge and gotten rid of their DIC altogether. Yes, I know there's a Metra kit, but frankly I have no idea where I'd install it, or if I even care enough to bother.

Is there any instance where my settings in my DIC would be lost and I'd be unable to retrieve/change them? I assume remote start would still work?

Thanks for any input you may have, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 PM

You could get the gauge cluster with the dic built in and still keep it that way. Or you could get the metra kit and put it in your glove box or center console to keep it. Both ways would clear up space for a double din

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Will the 09.5 cluster work in an 09, and actually display the DIC information? I am personally looking to avoid the metra kit if absolutely necessary, I don't want the hassle. I'm just curious if anyone has completely gone without, and if so, if they ever miss having it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yes. It has been done. You also need to get an 09.5 steering wheel. Or at least the buttons. Then you have to add a wire. I was also told you'll need bcm reflash to the 09.5 spec.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Storm Trooper

I got rid of my DIC back in 2007 when i installed the AVIC-D3. I dont miss it at all.

Everything works perfectly I just dont get to see the temp outside, fuel range and oil change notification.

The 09.5 dash sounds cool but idk if it is worth it...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I went ahead and bought a stereo (JVC KW-NSX1), and was going to install it myself, but I'm wondering if I may be in over my head.

See, I neglected to mention that I have a Monsoon sound system. I hear it's a royal pain in the ass to install a new head unit into a system with a Monsoon amp. Could anybody explain the process, or at least confirm/deny my fears about the difficulty? I've done simple car stereo installs in the past, so it's not my first rodeo, but working on a '91 Ford Probe and a '00 Grand Am, neither of which had external amps, is hardly comparable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in