Monsoon Speakers - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Monsoon Speakers

Hi,

I have a 2008 GXP coupe, and I'm wondering how many speakers I have!

I haven't removed any panels etc. yet, but I'm planning on upgrading from the factory speakers. it looks like separate woofers and tweeters in the front doors, and possibly coaxes or full-rangers in the rear deck.

Anything else I'm not seeing? Is there also a separate subwoofer? So far I haven't found it, but it sure sounds like there is one, and I probably wouldn't replace it.

The regular speakers however are pretty much factory milquetoast and have to go - me being an audiophile and used to higher end stuff.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Speaker Upgrade

Trying to bump this thread again - I have removed the front passenger door panel from my GXP coupe and started modding my speakers.

I found that the woofer housing is a removable piece and there is a large "cup" right above the woofer area - a perfect place to mount my new tweeters.

However, after assembly and install there is no sound coming out of the tweeter - I will need to remove and test it next weekend (ran out of time yesterday), but my question is -

Does the factory head unit have a crossover that divides the frequncies between the woofer and tweeter? Since I disconnected the factory tweeter and tied my new tweeter into the woofer harness, I'm just wondering if this is a possibility as to why there is no sound coming from the tweeter.

I'm pretty sure it's just a tweeter issue, but I thought I'd ask and see if anybody knew about this.

Thanks!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 PM
G6 GXP

Looks like not a lot of folks had the knowledge you sought, but your other writeup on putting the speakers in indicates you solved the issue yourself. That writeup, and the pics, are gonna be very helpful for me when I upgrade my speakers this summer, so thanks for taking the time to post that info!

- C0RSA1R

Corsair (noun) - a privateer or pirate

"Wicked": 87 Olds Cutlass Cruiser Wagon - totaled in blizzard
"Beast": 89 Buick Century Custom - totaled in driving sleet
"Cutty Sark": 97 Olds Cutlass Supreme - died too early
"Batmobile": 98 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe - ditto
"Grey Ghost": 02 Infiniti I35 Sport - still ticking, needs new water pump
"Red Devil": 08 Pontiac G6 GXP - current ride
"My Boy Blue": 00 Ford Ranger XLT Club Cab - my hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0RSA1R View Post
Looks like not a lot of folks had the knowledge you sought, but your other writeup on putting the speakers in indicates you solved the issue yourself. That writeup, and the pics, are gonna be very helpful for me when I upgrade my speakers this summer, so thanks for taking the time to post that info!
Hello - thanks for posting - glad I could help someone planning on a speaker upgrade. Yes I figured things out, but now I have some concerns because my tweeters are too "quiet" - I saw a tag on the woofer housings that said "2 Ohm," and my speakers are 4 Ohm - that in itself is not an issue but it may affect the crossover. That and the fact that with separate high and low frequency channels the head unit must have an electronic crossover built in, further muddying things.

So, gonna have to do some more research (new post) and experiment with the tweeter filtering, whenever I feel like pulling the door panels off again, which may not be any time soon.

The speakers DO sound great tho - highly recommended.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in