Aftermarket JVC stereo seems to have a bad connection. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Aftermarket JVC stereo seems to have a bad connection.

I apologize in advance for the extremely general question but I'm having trouble finding this topic or the solution on the internet.

When I bought my car 2006 GTP it came with an old (but not too shabby) JVC KD-G140 stereo installed by the previous owner. It does the job for me and I'm pretty happy with it. However it's been having what seems to be a bad connection lately. When I'm driving down the road sometimes the stereo display will turn off although the stereo is still playing, and often the stereo will "lose connection" to the front speakers and only play the back ones. The display problem happens rarely and the speaker problem occurs often but both of these issues are simply solved by just pressing the faceplate into the stereo itself.

Now I'm pretty sure that the subs in the back of the car are stock. I'm not worried about those at all because they play at all times and sound great. The front speakers are aftermarket, which I have installed myself, and I know that they are working okay. Because these problems are solved by pushing the faceplate in it makes me believe that it is just a bad connection between the faceplate and the rest of the stereo. I've gone ahead and changed the fuse (literally did that 20 minutes ago) so I'll have to see if that helps but I checked the one I had taken out and it came back fine, I doubt that it's a bad fuse anyways but whatever...

I'm considering just going to Best Buy and having them install a new stereo unit for me. I know that I can do it myself but I don't feel like taking everything apart to put it in. Before I do so does anyone have any tricks or advice to try and fix this problem? Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:42 PM

The screen issue could just be the contacts between the faceplate and the rest of the unit.

There are no subs that come stock with the G6, so if you have some, they are aftermarket. I would start by checking your connections at the speaker, make sure nothing is loose, check for pinches. Check the wiring behind the headunit for the same things. You probably have the monsoon system, which has an amp behind the carpet on the passenger side of the trunk. That could be the issue aswell.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

It is more than likely the screen issue. Even if the back speakers are installed subs there aren't any problems with them, and there isn't a sub in the trunk. All the speakers have great connections.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in