Aftermarket Radio install - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Radio install

I am about to install a pioneer 980BT unit into my 07 G6 and I have been doing some reading which says that there is no accessory power for the current head unit that is provided in the factory wiring harness. Since this is the case, what is the best way to connect the accessory line for my after market unit so that it will stay on just as the factory unit does (on after ignition is turned off until either the door is opened or a few seconds have elapsed). If some one knows a line I should splice into or a place in the fuse box to tap into please let me know.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 AM

Try the C2R-GM11b PAC harness, from everything I've read this harness is supposed to retain the factory warning chimes and G.M.'s R.A.P. line which s there version of the accesory line. I have'nt tried it in my G6 yet but I plan on it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
2006 Black G6 GT

I would recommend thiss one.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209933...r-Package.html

But i'm guessing since this thread is over 4 months old this wont help any. haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 PM

I was looking at that kit myself. I am planning on purchasing a 7" touchscreen pioneer to put in my 2008 G6 and I don't think that kit will work. I think I have to get this one here in order for my receiver to fit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209533...eiver-Kit.html

Anyone know?
I am just now looking into replacing the head unit. Not sure exactly what all I need in order to to this. Looks like it might be a task.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
2006 Black G6 GT

The one i posted is not for Double Din dash size. If you purchasing a 7" screen thats not a flip out, you will indeed need that one.

thats the one that came with my pioneer avh4100

2006 G6 GT
Mods so far: Black arrow overlays, Chrome recessed grilles, Blue LED license plate light, Blue LED reverse lights, Smoked tails, 20% Tint all around, Red led's for the interior, White led dome and map lights.
Sound System: 4 Infinity Kappa component speakers, 2 Amps (950w total) and 2 10" Kenwood KFC subwoofers, 7" touch screen Pioneer DVD

Performance: Mobile 1 oil, Mobile 1 oil filter
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 AM

awesome. That is the same receiver I am purchasing. Do you like it? What harness kit did you get? and does everything still work as needed? Any soldering done, or did the harness you purchased pretty much plug right into what is existing? If you let me know what you got and how it worked out that would be great! I've never put a receiver in myself, however I know I am more than capable. Just trying to get all my questions covered before I go tearing into my new car.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 AM
CrAzY Moderator

To outfit your car and see what fit and works with your specific model

"clicky here"

hope this helps some

.~*Crazy J*~.

Appearance: Debadged, Black Overlays, LLumar 35% Windshield The Rest Are 15%, LED RL/BL, Fogs Lows and Highs are 8000K HIDS, G6 Vinyl Door Jam G6 Logo Covers, Custom Engine Bay Painting, Black Recessed Upper Grill, Red Caliper Painting, Tinted Tail Lights, Flexline Interior Lighting W/Remote.

Performance: Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, K&N CAI, Custom Strut Tower Bar.

System: Complete Kicker System (Tweeters, 6x9's, 6 1/2's, 2-12" CVX Subs, 1000 Watt Kicker Sub Amp, 350 Watt Kicker Internal Speakers Amp), JVC KW-AVX830.

Security: 5900 Series Viper Car Alarm, Custom Painted Remote
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM

yea I have been on crutchfields site a lot. Which is where I found the stereo. I see they have all the wiring harnesses and stuff there. I just was wondering if there was any difficulty in putting the stereo in. The people at crutchfield can only tell you so much. I don't have an issue putting in my own new stereo. I just am not going to do an soldering and such (which it claims I wont have to on crutchfield and when I talked to their tech staff) I just wanted some verification from someone who's done it. I would like the old wiring, the harness and the new receiver to pretty much plug into each other. I have no problem purchasing the harness, I just want to know its going to work.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensur3 View Post
The one i posted is not for Double Din dash size. If you purchasing a 7" screen thats not a flip out, you will indeed need that one.

thats the one that came with my pioneer avh4100
Is this unit capable of displaying the same info as the stock unit (Trip A, Trip B, AVG MPH, AVG MPG, Current MPG, Oil life, Tire pressure)? Does it connect to stock OnStar & XM?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
CrAzY Moderator

I have the stock radio with a stock to a rca harness in that plugged in so I could get my subs to hook up. I never did any of the soldering. But I put all that stuff in a year and a half ago lol. So I really dont remember what it looks like back there. But I plan on getting a DD Radio soon to go with the subs make them sound better and the radio look better also. When I do that if it is anytime soon I will let you know.

I keep my "Crazy J" thread in Members Rides updated pretty often when I do something new. So if you check it out every so often you will see when I install it and pictures posted so that way it could help you out.

.~*Crazy J*~.

Appearance: Debadged, Black Overlays, LLumar 35% Windshield The Rest Are 15%, LED RL/BL, Fogs Lows and Highs are 8000K HIDS, G6 Vinyl Door Jam G6 Logo Covers, Custom Engine Bay Painting, Black Recessed Upper Grill, Red Caliper Painting, Tinted Tail Lights, Flexline Interior Lighting W/Remote.

System: Complete Kicker System (Tweeters, 6x9's, 6 1/2's, 2-12" CVX Subs, 1000 Watt Kicker Sub Amp, 350 Watt Kicker Internal Speakers Amp), JVC KW-AVX830.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM
CrAzY Moderator

Also try PMing pooners he might have that answer for you I think he did a swap on radios and I dont if he had to get a new harness for the newer radio he put in.

.~*Crazy J*~.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auquier View Post
Is this unit capable of displaying the same info as the stock unit (Trip A, Trip B, AVG MPH, AVG MPG, Current MPG, Oil life, Tire pressure)? Does it connect to stock OnStar & XM?
You have to buy a separate XM unit that will integrate itself into the receiver. I am looking at getting one that I can move between my car/truck/and apartment ( In this case it won't be integrated fully into the pioneer receiver ). The OnStar still works. I don't think there is anything special you need for that besides maybe the harness. AND as for the other things, MPG and all that info. I don't think none of that is going to be usable anymore
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

i know it has been forever since this was posted on but there is a metra kit that you can relocate to the glovebox to get ur information center back with a double din unit. But even on amazon, it will run you no less than $150
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 PM

I believe there is a thread that shows using this kit and then a double din kit. They cannibalized the screen and buttons off of the DIC replacement and mounted it in the glove box/center console. Then they just used the standard double din kit.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM

I did that with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in